Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Cervical, thoracic spine injury

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Cervical, thoracic spine injury

I have injured my spine in 1979 and cervical spine in 1987. These injures have cause deterioration. In Dec 2008, I tripped and twisted my back with lower and middle back ache, spasms, radiculopathy,etc. I saw a Chiroparctor on 2/2/2009 for this. as Part of his initial exam he laid me on a table and pressed down hard on my spine and bent my legs. I had a pain in my neck during the exam which I did not have when I came in. the pain is now in my left shoulder and upper back. MRI and x-rays after this exam show anterior C4 bulging disc with impression on thecal canal,  anterior C5-C6 disc herniation with tear in annulus and impression on thecal canal. thoracic spondylosis, disc degeneration, osteopyhtes, T11,T12, and L5 disc bulge. I am a 55 y/o active male jogger. I have not been able to jog with all this and just yesterday I reinjured my neck and back while walking my dog and he went after a squirrel and the leash jerked my left shoulder. I see the psyatrist in a few days for consult on all this. What is my best course of treatment and should I have discotomy surgery on the cervical area. I am worried I will be paralyized. Thank you.
1 Comment
I forgot to tell you that the cervical x-ray showed a subluxation of 3 mm of C4. Since yesterday and the dog incident I am in more pain, a lot of radiculopathy, limited range of motion in the neck and some pins/needle sensation in my anterior chest. The MRI that I had did not show any encroachment of the disc on the cord. I have definitely reinjured  the neck and back yesterday. When I originally hurt the back in Dec. 2008, I waited 6 weeks to try to let it heal on its own. I used heat, Ice, rest, and walking. then I saw the chiropractor and he made it worse and I have not seen anyone since, until Feb. 18th. Do you think i'll make it two more days before I see the psyatrist?
A related discussion, TWISTED SPINE was started.