Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Disc extrusion

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Disc extrusion

I had an accident back in may 2010 and got a couple of disc herniations.  I went to a chiropractor and PT for about 4 months after the accident and was feeling good.  I stopped going all through 2011 and 2012. I played a lot of basketball I would have some pain after games but I would Ice immediately which would make the pain go away for a lil bit.   I hit the gym a lot and felt good still. I did have pain here and there but now it is hurting me a lot.  I was wondering to see if maybe by lifting heavy all through fall 2012and this past spring could have really messed up my back more?

My 2010 MRI says:

At the L4-5, there is a broad disc protrusion eccentric to the right which indents the thecal sac and abuts the traversing right L5 nerve root.  Again, the neural foramina appear patent.

At the L5-S1 level, there is a broad disc extrusion which effaces the anterior epidural fat and nearly abuts the traversing S1 nerve roots.  Marginal osteophyte and facet arthropathy minimally encroach upon the neural foramina.

Some diminution in lumbar lordosis is noted, however, possibly due to muscle spasm.

With that being said, does my chances of my back being more messed up than it was before.