Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
I need help, 3 years and no answers, pain at base of my neck, etc.

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

I have been having pain for nearly 3 years now that started with burning and sharp pain mostly around my shoulder and with some muscle tightness around my neck.  Now it's gotten to the point that I have severe pain and pressure at the base of my neck and upper back.  I also have pain that goes up my neck and causes headaches.  My muscles are extremely tight around my neck and out towards my shoulders.  I have pain from one shoulder to the other one.  I do have a couple of slightly bulged discs in my neck, but the doctors have told me it's not the cause of my discomfort.  I've had medication, physical therapy, and injections and it only keeps getting worse.  I'm missing a lot of time (and money) from work because of this.  I don't really know what else to do, or what to look for.  My X-rays and MRI are of my cervical area, so I do wonder if having those tests done in the Thoracic region of the spine would be useful.  
I don't think that imaging of the thoracic area will be of much use treatment-wise. The symptoms you're having all point to a cervical issue. I recommend visiting this website: www.UpCspine.com. They have a referral directory there, and hopefully you can find a specialist in your area. This is a special form of chiropractic care that may provide valuable insight and relief that you're seeking.

Adam Tanase, D.C.
www.drtanase.com