Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
Thoracic and cervical pain with severe loss of strength

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

Hello all, I am a 29 year old Powerlifter in good overall health and not over weight. Recently I have been having some pretty severe pain on either side of the back of my neck and in my lower trap area between the shoulder blades. It is also very tight in this area and no amount of stretching seems to makes this feel better. Things I have noticed during this time are numbness in both of my arms (especially upon waking), tingling in arms, taking deep breaths causes pain in the lower trap area, and a sever loss of strength on the Bench Press. The most noticeable thing is the loss of strength. While trying to Bench Press my arms literally shake like crazy (especially the biceps) in the lock out position and it takes everything I've got to stabilize and control the weight on the decent. The loss of power is dramatic going from being a 400+ pound Bench Presser to barely being able to handle 300 pounds. Any ideas of what could cause this? Herniated disc? Pinched nerve? I do plan on seeing a doctor of some sort. Chiro? Ortho? Recommendations?  Thanks in advance.
I'd start by seeing a reputable chiropractor in your area. Neck pain, trap soreness, decreased strength and tingling in the arms are all symptoms that call attention to the cervical spine. Make sure your chiropractor takes x-rays to evaluate the cervical curve.