Chiropractic Care Expert Forum
dislocated floating rib

Questions in the Chiropractic Care Forum are being answered by Dr. Adam Tanase, a board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic. Topics covered include Muscle Pain, Nerve Pain, Movement Disorders, Subluxation, Upper Cervical Care, Pain Management, Health Care Alternatives, and Wellness Care.

dislocated floating rib

my fiance fell in the bathtub atwo weeks ago and really hurt himself ,he went to the hospital and had xrays and followed up with his primary doctor after he recieved the results from the xrays . The doctor said he only bruised his chest wall and he would be ok in a few weeks . he is in intense ,pain so, he saw his chiropractor yesterday and he said he had dislocated two of his floating ribs  .   my questions are   , is that possible ? and if its is  would a regional nerve block relieve his pain  ?   he is really hurting and cannot even lay in bed.  
A "floating" rib doesn't actually float. It's referred as such because it doesn't attach to the sternum in the front like "true" ribs do.

It is possible to dislocate a rib due to trauma.

I cannot speak for the effectiveness of a region nerve block; this would be a question better addressed to his medical physician.