Cholesterol Community
cholesterol and Depo shot

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

cholesterol and Depo shot

I just had my cholesterol checked dyesterday and my doctor says its very high. I have an appointment to go over the numbers. My question is can a Depo birth control shot cause your blood tests to be abnormal?  

A bit of history. I am slightly over weight. All prior tests have been normal and for the past year I have been taking Krill oil to help maintain a good cholesterol and changed to a healthier diet to loose weight. I walk 3 to 4 days a week and take aqua exercise classes 2 to 3 days a week.

There is nothing  read that would relate a Depo birth control shot to high cholesterol. It does say that it can cause weight change which means it affects your metabolism which would be the result of changes to your thyroid which can cause increased cholesterol, but that's a reach. Let us know what your doctor says.

Jon