Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Breathing Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Breathing Problems

I have been having breathing problems Dry Cough.I have pain in my lower chest area on both sides.I was exposed to heavy Alumn Oxide Sand Blasting Dust.I have had HRCT lung function test all have been normal.The exposure was about 2 yrs ago I had a VATs Biopsy and it came back no Pulmonary Fibrosis.I also have a lot of cold chills but temp. is normal.I have had blood tests all came back normal.Breathing worse when exercising have alot of trouble sleeping also.I understand you cant Dignose me over the site but do you have any advice.My family Dr is lost.I have been to a Pulmonary Dr also has no Idea.Thanks For Your Time
You mention exposure to Aluminum Oxide exposure.  Despite their intensely irritating effects on skin and mucous membranes, there is no firm evidence that these fibers produce lung fibrosis, pleural lesions, or nonspecific respiratory disease in humans.  That might not be true if the fibers are broken-down in the sand blasting process but, in your case, that too would be most unlikely, given the normal/negative HRCT scan.

I am sorry but I cannot add anything else to what I have previously recommended in your other posts.  Your messages suggest that your doctors remain puzzled.  Since that is the case, I suggest that you arrange for consultation with a Pulmonologist (a pulmonary specialist) at a national referral center, such as:  National Jewish Health in Denver Colorado, The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, The University of Pittsburgh Hospitals in Pittsburgh PA or The University of California Medical Center in San Francisco.

Good luck