Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Residual Volume

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Residual Volume

My spirometry results indicated a normal FEV1, FVC and FEV1/FVC but the RV was high (33 and 137% of predicted).  Could this indicate anything other than COPD?  How is COPD different from small airways disease and is it possible that I have small airways disease and have a reversible situation?

Also, when I got in a hot tub, I feel like a pressure on my chest.  Could this be related to COPD or something else of which I'm not aware?
COPD refers to the combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema (destruction of lung tissue).  COPD may effect small airways but is not limited to these airways.

A high RV is usually associated with obstructive lung diseases, most commonly COPD or Asthma and can be an early sign of COPD.  The RV can also be slightly elevated with Obesity.  It is also a test that is frequently not performed correctly, leading to a false outcome.

It is nothing to worry about but, if you are a smoker, you should quit.

There are many causes of chest pressure or pain and we could only guess.  You should discuss this with your doctor.