Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
malaria

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

malaria

I am a white male 59 years old from the USA. I have been travling to NW Kenya since 2007 and now live here full time for the past 16 months. I have had malaria 17 times during the past 16 months (three times since prior to my full time stay). I use injectible Arthemeter for three days followed by an oral drug for an additional three days. Each time I test negative after treatment.  One bout was treated with IV Quinine in the hospital. Why am I getting malaria so often? HELP PLEASE!
Tags: malaria
I am not an expert on Tropical Diseases and your best option would be to discuss this with an expert in the field of Malaria treatment and research.

The following is an overview on the subject from Auerbach’s Textbook of Wilderness Medicine

Recurrent and Persistent Infections
Recurrent malaria infection can occur in several ways. First, relapses from P. vivax or P. ovale can occur when dormant hypnozoites mature and release merozoites, thus producing blood-stage infections. Second, incomplete treatment or a partially effective host immune response can lead to low-concentration parasitemia and may lead to recrudescence of blood-stage infections. Relapse and recrudescence are caused by the same parasite clone that was responsible for the initial infection. Although recrudescence can occur with any malarial species, it is most common with P. falciparum because of antimalarial resistance. Finally, in areas of intense transmission, simultaneous infection or reinfection with multiple parasite species or strains can occur. P. malariae is frequently

Also, here is information from the Center for Disease Control website:  
Travel to disease-endemic area: Recommendations are the same for HIV-infected and -uninfected patients.
One of the following three drugs is usually recommended depending on location: atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine. Refer to the following website for the most recent recommendations based on region and drug susceptibility. http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/

From Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents: Recommendations from CDC, the National Institutes of Health, and the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:1-198.

Finally, what be my most useful recommendation, that you visit this website and proceed from there.
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
http://www.niaid.nih.gov