Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
oxygen levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

oxygen levels

Hi, during the day ,while doing housework, usual activities around the home, or at shool ,and I also teach,my oxygen levels drop  into the low 70s, as soon as I rest for a while they go back to around 90-3. Sleeping, I had the oxmeter test a few days ago and they range from 90-6,Could you please tell me if I am in imminent danger ? I have emphysema and am 65 years age of .  Thank you
If your oxygen levels truly do fall into the low 70% range and remain in that range for more than a couple of minutes,  presumably with minimal exertion, yes you are in some degree of imminent danger.  Levels of 90% or greater are always safe, whether awake or asleep.   It would be wise for you to have continuous recorded monitoring for 24 hours, to determine just how much of the time your oxygen levels are in the dangerous range of 75% or lower.

It would also be important that you be treated optimally for your COPD, with drugs that could reduce the frequency with which your oxygen levels fall precipitously.  If your doctor is unsure about any of the preceding, you might want to request consultation with a lung specialist (pulmonologist).  It is important to look-out for your own well being.

Good luck