Complementary Medicine Community
biofeedback machine... does it work???

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

biofeedback machine... does it work???

HI All! I  spoken to someone who claims they worked with a Naturopath, MD who uses a biofeedback machine to help diagnosis and treat their condition. She said he helped her immensley and with quick results ( weeks).
    I then got the phone number and spoke to the Dr himself ( he takes calls). He explained his way is using a "biofeedback" machine he can check for many things such as viruses, bacteria,allergies,ect - similar  approach as muscle testing but faster to  information/results. He also uses blood tests to diagnosis and treat patients.
  He then uses natural herbs/remedies but said proper  diet is the most important key to improving our health and maintaining it,-  the " gut " is the immune system of the body.
I googled him...  several people who said he was a quack but lots who said he has helped when no one else did. He has been practicing for a loooong time.
   Anyone ever hear of biofeedback machine doing this?? And results of the this treatment???
I am not too familar with bio-feedback or the machine. I know some folks really swear by it, but, as for me, my naturopath has not recommended it, actually, none of my naturopaths have. I guess, like anything else, for some it is great, and others, it is useless.

He is right about the proper diet and vitamins, minerals and herbs, these are needed to keep the body in a state of health and everyone needs them.
The only biofeedback machine I have heard of, and used, measures physiological reactions much as a polygraph does.  It's used by psychologists and psychiatrists to teach patients how to regulate their anxiety levels by regulating their blood pressure and heart rate by learning to control the temperature of the hands.  It's also used in the same way for migraines, which is a form of vascular headache.  It does not measure anything remotely like viruses or bacteria or anything else, nor do I see how any machine could discover such information since it flows in the blood and could only be found by testing the blood.  I had a naturopath who used some odd machine he plugged in and held up in the air when choosing homeopathic remedies and also said it worked like muscle testing.  Keep in mind that all available scientific studies show muscle testing doesn't actually work, but we've had this discussion before -- you can find it in the archives.  Look, there are all kinds of kooks who become naturopaths, but the final question is, how do they choose how to treat you?  For homeopathy, for example, why not just use the materia medica?  For herbs, it's not like we don't know what they do and what they're for.  And the fact is, most naturopaths can't diagnose viruses or bacterial infections or serious diseases because they lack the tools even if they're learned how.  It's best to get the diagnosis from a doctor, then treat it with a naturopath.  If it's just general health you're concerned about, then you don't need the doctor.  But naturopaths are no different than any other professional -- some are good, some are hacks.
my homeopathy practitioner uses it.  i believe it works and here is why.  1st, it tests your organs/nerves/everything through your maridians (sp?)  Everything runs through your organs and into your finger tips and toes by your maridians.  You hold one end (a bar) and the other end looks somewhat like a pen tip, and you put it to each of these points (acupuncturists use the same points) and if it reads under 50 then it is underactive, or not working correctly, and if it is over 50 then there is an inflamation (inflammation) or irritation.  Each point has to do with an area or organ.  When it does not read 50, then the practitioner is able to put different things (homeopathic drops, medication, herbs, etc) on the machine and it will either go to 50 or not, if it doesnt go to 50, then that specific drop/herb/whatever will not fix the problem.  the reason i believe it works is that i am a diabetic and have thyroid disease, and i was on metformin, glyburide, actos and lantus insulin forever and was still at around 150 fasting and the doctors were at a loss of what more they could do.  it wasn't until i started looking into alternative medicine and found this practitioner who uses one that i started getting results and have slowly been able to back off a lot of my medications.  also, my 9 year old daughter who suffered from headache's and occasional migraines 1-4/5x/week went through cat scans, allergy testing, everything you can think of for the doctors to be at a loss and just say "take ibuprofin" and it was this practitioner and this machine that found it was her gallbladder and was able to give her drops and she no longer suffers from headaches.  So I believe.  :)  and blood sugars don't lie.
Thanks for the input. I don't know where your naturopath is... the one I am seeing is in Tx. He uses "imprinted meds/herbs" and supplements. Are you familiar with this ?
Yes, his machine is what you describe here.
I have been following his plan for a month, no significant difference except my heart rate seems to be more stable ( I have PSVT).
   He says he works on physical issues first -I had lots of bacterias and viruses and then 2nd stage is emotional causes-.
Not sure what to think except I was referred by someone who says he helped her when no one else could do anything-such as your case.
Thanks for any other info or support you can give me.
I appreciate any input.
Hi all, I also see a N.D. Homeopathic Dr. which  uses the bio feed back machine , I wasnt to sure how real it was untill the read out started exposing things about me and my body that I hadnt disclosed.It made a believer out of me, also it disclosed root of physical aliments that my M. D. couldn't find cause of , with natural herbs and vitamins  treatment worked quickly and I haven't had anymore issues. Im very very positive about bio-feedback and natual homeopathic D. R.'s and recommend  to everyone.
My husband and i went to a Dr that used a bio feedback machine. that thing told the Dr things we never exposed to him. it was incredibly spooky to me how accurate it was. I am now a believer.
I think homeopathic medicine attempts to shroud itself with every "feel good" and mysterious concept available thinking that enough mis-direction will eventually confuse the patient to believe! Now they add high tech words to their devices(is there a more futuristic ,powerfull and validating word than QUANTUM). These machines are glorified Lie Detectors..Just like Muscle testing,they will not entertain a rational argument against it,instead insisting that all can be told. Constantly ignoring any scientific reasoning against such things ,they choose to point out the one time they may have been right when anyone just by throwing out a slew problems would of found one correct diagnosis by accicent.I pointed out all the scientific flaws with Muscle Testing to a homeopath like a)impossiblility of measuring strength accurately   b)leading peoples responses by the order of the testing (bad product tested 1st then they say now try this)   c) although everything has a natural energy -to feel the benefits from this a product has to be broken down chemically by body unless it is radioactive.That said ,the placebo affect is a very powerfull tool using a persons belief to help them.A person who believes they are being cured has a better chance of healing.They are likely to be less stressed there for stronger mentally.They is validity to that.Trust that you are in good hands and to a point you are.This unfortunately involves suspending rational thinking.Its ironic and a contradiction ,but belief is a positive mental force that ultimately can positively influence health.Welcome blind faith but BEWARE !!