Congestive Heart Failure Community
CHF and Renal Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

CHF and Renal Failure

Hi there, my grandfather is 91 and has had CHF for the past few years. He is overweight and has been for most of his life.  He has a pace maker. He is now in hospital with leg ulcers that are weeping. They are trying to limit his fluid intake because he is retaining too much due to kidney failure. He has no appetite, is unable to walk and now he is saying he is feeling very cold. The doctors are managing his condition by altering his heart medications and balancing with the diuretics and through this process my grandfather's blood pressure has been dropping considerably.

Given my grandfather's age they are reluctant to operate and so they are managing his vitals from what I can tell. Today they were administering oxygen as well.

Here are a few of my questions:  

What is the prognosis for this type of case?
Do you have any thoughts around what we can do to help my grandfather feel more comfortable?
Will he recuperate?  
Is the fact that he is feeling very cold worrisome? Could this be a sign of pneumonia?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or thoughts you may have.

Savan
His kidneys are failing because his heart is not working and able to pump the blood throughout his body.  Being that he is cold, I am thinking his liver is starting to shutdown also because the liver heats the body when a person is not moving around.  The muscles heat the body when moving around.  Ask what his liver enyzmes are and how his liver is doing.  The doctors cannot operate when a person is of this age.  Even a person in theirs 70's and 80's have a risk which can be high.  When the heart fails and the kidneys fail it is hard in that the heart makes the kidneys worse and the failing kidneys make the heart worse.  I imagine he is sick to his stomach with the kidneys and possible liver failing.  Is he turning yellow at all now?  The doctors are doing their best with medication.  He also could be starting to go into cardiac shock with the coldness he is feeling.  This is when the heart is unable to meet the demand of the blood supply to the organs and all organs shutdown including lungs and intestines. Ask the doctors about his blood work and what the levels are and what this means.  When blood pressure bottom number drops in the 30's the liver starts failing.  It is really hard to see your loved one like this.  Don't forget to take care of yourself.  When my mom was in the hospital, I forgot to drink water and got dehydrated and my father forgot to take his cancer medication and now his cancer is worse.  Remember to drink water and eat a little sometime.  Take care.  
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition