Congestive Heart Failure Community
elevated troponins

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

elevated troponins

I have just returned with my friend from the emergency room where her 93 year old mother was taken due to low blood pressure, lethargy, confusion, and near fainting.  Blood tests and urinalysis shows a "major UTI" and elevanted troponins. I am researching troponins for my friend (neither of us had ever heard of them) and see that it can be associated with congestive heart failure among other illnesses.  The doctor does not seem to think she had a heart attack.  Could the UTI have caused the elevation?  I cannot find much information about the CHF with higher troponins and would like more information.  Thank you.
Avatar dr m tn

Troponins are the enzymes which are present in the heart muscle and are used to diagnose heart attack. They are quite specific to the damage to the heart muscle and they are not elevated in case of muscle injury, for e.g. after intramuscular injection. They are normally not present in the blood and even mild elevation is an indicator of the heart disease. They are used mainly to diagnose or rule heart attack in the medical emergency. They are not used to diagnose other conditions. They are not elevated in case UTI and their rise is an indicator of damage to the heart muscle.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted. Kind regards.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
ChitChatNine is having fun! Comment
Cindy, and ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 20
Cindy sends heartfelt thanks to a... Comment
May 18