Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain after Temporary Crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain after Temporary Crown

I had two teeth prepared for crowns 9 days ago. They are right new to each other...the last two molars on upper left side. The first few days I only had gum tenderness from the work done and I rinsed with warm salt water and it got better. Now the last several days I have throbbing pain, severe sensitivity to cold,  even room temperature water can be felt and be mildly irritating. Not as severe with warm and hot. I definitely tolerate that better. I went back to dentist 2 days ago and he felt the problem was the temp crown needing adjusting so he filed it done a few times and said things should improve in a couple of days. Well it hasn't improved. If I take Advil regularly, it is ok but the throbbing comes back when time for the next dose. The pain has awakened me twice during sleep as well. What should I do?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like the temps are leaking and are being bathed by the saliva duct which is adjacent to the molars in that area(parotid gland). Either you go back to the dentist and have him or her fit the temps better or you wait it out until you get the new crowns. I am not sure I would permanently cement these crowns until the sensitivity diminishes.
very important first of all make sure you keep the area as clean as possible massaging the gums with your toothbrush. it can take a few days for the sensitivity to lessen after an adj. if it doesnt get better he may need to adjust it again. id call them again if it you dont feel relief.
Thank you so much for the quick response. I will try anything that will help and that is something I did not know to do.
Thanks again!
well im not a dentist but was a dental asst for many years. i was the one to make the temps and explain post op instr. hopefully they told you to stay away from gum, hard foods and if it comes off by chance to call and have it placed back on immediatly so "shifting" doesnt take place.
yes they did tell me all those things. they also stressed that sensitivity to heat was a definite sign to come back in and let them look at it. they acted like sensitivity to cold was much more common.
yes cold is common. temporaries will not insulate very well sometimes. after all they removed your enamel layer in the prep. sometimes the only thing that totally gets rid of it is to place the permenant crowns. the change after that can take a week too to become desensitized. hot is an idication that the nerve is involved.
If the temporaries are leaking, will the pain go away when the permanent crowns are placed? I have one more week to go now. The sensitivity has greatly diminished but the throbbing and aching is still there if I do not keep taking Advil. I can put up with it if I think it will get better next week. Is there any way it is nerve pain? That is my biggest fear... that I will need a root canal done.
I too had a major problem with my Temporary crown. throbbing pain for 2 weeks! I went back to the dentist and they adjusted my bite, still no relief. I know now that is was fitted improperly because once I received my permanent crown all of the pain went away. Too bad my dentist did not see what the problem was even though I told him I knew it was the temp. it felt like it was pressing on my gums. Every time I walked it throbbed, am looking for a new dentist, I will never go back to him.Good luck to you. Meggy
A related discussion, I'm having the same constant intense temp. crown pain. was started.
A related discussion, Will I also need a root canal was started.
A related discussion, Extreme Pain after Temps put on. was started.
A related discussion, Temporary Crown wont stop throbbing was started.