Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Any cure?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Any cure?

I have experienced a 4-month relationship with a guy who eventually turned out to be a borderliner. He is young (27) and handsome and is basically good at heart although I assume most borderliners make you think so. I have explained all I've experienced with him, what he did, his behaviour, attitudes and feelings to a psychiatrist friend of mine and she definitely put a diagnosis of borderline personality. Your definition of this disorders perfectly matches this guy. I did not fall in love with him but I was (and still am) very fond of him, although I had to push him away for he was destroying my life. I would like to know if there is any chance of curing this disorder or is there no hope he can somehow manage to live a comparatively normal life so that he would suffer a little less? It hurts me to think that he will suffer all his life; his parents are divorced and have both made new families, he's got no home of his own and no job (except for occasional and seasonal jobs). Thank you
Different forms of psychotherapy can be useful in people with Borderline Personality Disorder, to manage crises, as well as developing long term coping skills. There is no singular medical treatment for borderline personality per se, but certain medications may help with symptoms of the illness, or help with conditions that often accompany it (such as depression, impulsivity, or mood lability). Antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers may diminish impulsivity, anxiety, and mood symptoms.