Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Bipolar vs. Schizophrenia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bipolar vs. Schizophrenia

My mother is hospitalized again.  Throughout my whole life she has been in and out of clinics and hospitals.  The doctors have diagnosed her as a bipolar with paranoid tendencies or as a paranoid schizophrenic (different places said different things).  What is the difference?  Are the treatments different? Thanks for any answers you can give.
Related Discussions

_

Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder can be devastating but manageable mental disorders.
It may be difficult to differenciate between schizophrenia and the manic episodes of Bipolar Disorder, because both MAY share symptoms such as paranoid delusions; auditory hallucinations; agitation; and mood lability.
Generally, in contrast to Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia is characterized by psychotic symptoms (i.e. hallucinations, delusions, disorganized speech or behavior), that occur in the absence of prominent mood symptoms (i.e. depressed mood, elation, irritability). These latter mood symptoms are the hallmark of bipolar disorder.
It is important that you clarify your mother's diagnosis and treatment plan with her psychiatrist. You may also wish to refer to the response on "Living with bipolar disorder family member" posted by Dr. D.E. (Archives 2/25/99).
This response is for general information only.
Keyword: bipolar disorder, delusion, paranoid, schizophrenia  

MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979