Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
CLOMAPRAMINE'S MODERN EQUIVILENT

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

CLOMAPRAMINE'S MODERN EQUIVILENT

Hi I was on 50 mg of zoloft this past summer for anxiety.  I developed a loud tone in my right ear, and now that I have been off zoloft for 9 weeks, I still have a pulsating hissing sound.  My problem is that I am terrified of the noise.  It triggers a panic attack. 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder and prescibed 50 mg of clomapramine which worked really well.  I was on it for one year, and then intermittently as needed.  My neurologist has prescribed 6 months of 3 mg daily lorazepam.  Can lorazepam be used long term.  I have been told to stay away from ssri's and I may try clomapramine in 6-8 months to see if it will work without elevating the ringing.  Are there any modern day equivilants of chlomapramine which will not provide a blast of seratonin like zoloft, but which will assist with anxiety that has a tendance toward obsessive rumination?
Mary
Clomapramine is still considered a very useful drug, I am not sure why you and your doctor are not using it now since it worked so well in the past.  The ringing in the ears is not usually assosiated with Zoloft or clomapramine. It is assosiated with a blood pressure problem, so ask your neurologist about that. Lorazepam can be used long term, but be careful about getting off of it too quickly.