Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Can Low Testosterone Cause Emotional Problems In YOUNG Woman
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can Low Testosterone Cause Emotional Problems In YOUNG Woman

Posted by J. on April 17, 1999 at 20:26:28
I've heard so much about low testosterone levels causing relationship and intimacy problems in menopausal and post-menopausal women.  What I want to know is, what are the chances of a 26-year-old woman who is in top physical condition having a testosterone level problem?  Can feeling that your sexual partner just isn't right for you (not feeling that "spark" enough to lead to sexual arousal) ) actually be caused by low testosterone?
Please answer right away as I will be off-line in a couple of days.
Thank you.

Posted by HFHS M.D.-TB on April 20, 1999 at 17:42:30
Dear J.,
Regarding your first question, the likelihood of a 26 year old woman having low testosterone, I do not have the answer.  You may want to address this question with your primary care physician.  Regarding your second question, low testosterone levels may be seen in hypoactive sexual desire disorder.  This disorder is characterized by persistently or recurrently deficient or absent sexual fantasies and desire for sexual activity.  Although I have so little information, your situation sounds like it may involve decreased interest in sex with your partner and not a lack of general interest in sex.  This may indicate conflictual feelings toward your partner which extinguish the spark.  Although you do not mention any symptoms of depression, decreased libido can be a symptom.  Decreased testosterone levels can also be found with medroxyprogesterone treatment.  What you are experiencing may not be a biological problem but a psychological one or related to issues between you and your partner.  
     I would recommend addressing this issue initially with your primary physician.  I hope that this information has been helpful for you.  It is intended for educational purposes only and should not replace consultation with a physician.  If you would like to see a mental health professional at Henry Ford Hospital, please call 1-248-689-7476.