Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
How do I get help/dianosis for son in treatment center?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

My son, 16, is in a residential treatment center.  We worked with the courts to get him placed there because he was making threats saying he was going to kill police officers and others.  We talked with several people before he went in and were assured that he would get treatment but after 5 weeks, we are no closer to a diagnosis or treatment.  My son does not self-report and is telling them everything is fine.  He is very anti-social and does not communicate verbally, he writes.  He recently gave me 17 pages that he has written at the facility to put in his room.  Of course I read them and they include 6 pages outlining his funeral, a goodbye note to his girlfriend, and various pages of ramblings; 1 page of front/back "I never wanna sleep again" and various statements like "**** the voices" and "Kill me, Kill Me".  I have also gathered pages of his writings from the last 6 years that show that he has grandiose feelings, severe mood swings, has attempted suicide, has constant thoughts of murder and suicide, and cries for help "why can't I be normal?  I'll never be normal".  I have diary pages that date back 6 years to a 10-year-old boy not wanting to live.  He also tells outrageous stories as the truth such as he told his girlfriend he was born in Hong Kong and was adopted.  He has written this story out, portraying it as his real life, to others online, etc.  I turned all these over to his treatment coordinator and the psychiatrist where he is at and they say that he is not currently acting out and they have no plans for him to see the psychiatrist (the psychiatrist is there 20 hours a week with 70 kids at the facility).  I'm very frustrated that my son is not getting help and don't know what else to do.  I wondering what other choices I have.  Would it be beneficial to get another psychiatrist involved?  Perhaps I could take the information I have, writings etc to a local psychiatrist or, perhaps work with someone online.  I would appreciate any help.  Chris
Your son definetly needs good psychiatric care...what you describe is appalling...I strongly suggest you hire your own local psychiatrist or get your son to a good psychiatric care unit at a university hospital near you.
1 Comment
my son was put in jail and i had the same problem with him not getting his medications or any treatment. I hired a private psychiatrist and he sent a couple of letters requesting my son be put on treatment and be given his medications.
also he went to court and requested my son be released under his responsability and my son was released within a week.

hire your own doctor and he will help you with your son.

good luck!!