Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Hypothyroidism and chills and fever

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Hypothyroidism and chills and fever
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism as a result of a medication (cordarone) that I take for heart disease.  I am now taking Synthroid for the Thyroid and this has relived the lethargy caused by Hypothyroidism, however, I have also been suffering from chills and fever at nights on a basis of approximately every other week for 2 to 3 nights.  For this condition, the doctor keeps giving me different anti-biotics, however, this has been going on for 9 months now without a resolution.
Is it possible that the chills and fever are also a side-effect of the Thyroid problem?
Your response would be greatly appreciated.
Dear Larry,

I'm glad you are following up with your physician.
Synthroid may be used for treatment of hypothyroidism.
Your symptoms of fever and chills may be due to infection or possibly toxic doses of Synthroid. A Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)  blood level may help determine if the Synthroid
too high. It is important to express your concerns to your physician.

Best Wishes

HFHS M.D.-SW

*Keywords: Thryroid, Synthroid, Anxiety