Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Is my 3 year old son to young for ADHD?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Is my 3 year old son to young for ADHD?

HI! My son who is 3 years old was treated for ADHD and I am really worried about him. He has been having a big behavior problem for 1 1/12 yrs now. The doctor put him on Addreall and since he got on it he has really slowed down but, he has a worst temper now than ever. He screams at the top of his lungs for no reason and up and out of the blue. It is like he is having spells  of  outrages. I have 2 other children around all of this  and I feel so bad for them, becasue they have to deal with it too along with myself and my husband.
I feel like the Adderall (adderrall) is helping him on paying more attention and slowing him down and he now can do something and sit there for more than five mintues. But his temper has gotten worse. Is that one of the side effects of him taking Adderall (adderrall)? Should I take him back to the doctor and explain all of this to her? Please let me know if there is somethng else out there to help him and ME on this problem.....Thank you!
You should definitely talk to your doctor and tell her what is happening. If your doctor is not a child psychiatrist or specialist in behavioral health issues, you should ask for a referral and get a complete psychological and neurological workup on your son.
1 Comment
I have explained this same situation to my own childs doctor, he is now 4, and it has taken him starting daycare, for others to realize that Im not a "BAD MOM"  just a very "STRESSED OUT" mom,

Hopefully I will get some help, any advice about talking to my childs doctor, would be appreciated.  Im at my wits end.  My husband does not see this..and just accuses me of being "unhappy"  well, in a sense I am, but not with life in general...just unhappy with this loving little boy, who just happens to be an errupting volcano.  and when i vent to myhusband, I get all kinds of accusations.  If you know of any support groups...etc.  any advice I'd love it, Thanks.  
You can email me at ***@****