Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
MRI claustrophobia

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

MRI claustrophobia

Posted by Ann on July 17, 1999 at 01:49:38
The panic attack from the closed-in MRI really shocked me because I never considered myself claustrophobic. I made them pull me out while my heart was thrumdering away, I was grasping for breath and crying. The tech was very sweet and asked if she could call my doctor for permission to give me sedation...I even went more berserk telling her absolutely NO, I would never want to be stuck up in there without my full senses. Luckily I had a friend who came in and sat next to me and I was able to endure the hour of challenge. My problem now is that every time I think of it I relive the panic attack all over again. I recall the mirror that I could look out of the tunnel with, seeing just my feet...and that's what really threw me for a loop...totally stuck up inside this slim tunnel...trapped. It triggered something from the past and, of course, I know what it is. My step-father molested me for years and my mother knew it. They both accused me of being a liar and a trouble-maker. I tried to commit suicide and then left home early as soon as someone offered to marry me. I have had 20 yrs of psychiatric, pschological, counseling/group therapy and thought I had it all resolved. I've lived fairly stable for over 8 years. And now this has come back to haunt me...something left over that was not addressed I guess. I'm wondering if I should go for help...what kind would you suggest? The thought of molestation doesn't botter me...it's seeing my feet sticking out of that tunnel and feeling I have no room to maneuver inside to get out, as if my arms and body are stuck in there...helpless.  Thank you for your time.

Posted by HFHS M.D-HG on July 21, 1999 at 09:26:31
Dear Ann
People had described   undergoing MRI as  scary and claustrophobic (fear of closed places). It appears that the MRI evoked similar feelings  (especially feeling helpless to move) that you had endured during the sexual abuse. Psychotherapy  may help to put to rest some of those yet unresolved feelings.    . I would recommend that you get a comprehensive evaluation from a trained mental health professional and  to enroll in an individual therapy. For an appointment at  Henry Ford Hospital Behavioral Services, you can call (248)-689-7476. This information is provided for general educational purposes only and should not replace evaluation by a physician.
Key words - MRI, Claustrophobia