Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paxil vs. Prozac

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Paxil vs. Prozac
I am a 50-year old female.  My doctor prescribed 20 mg of Paxil for me, and diagnosed minor depression, ie: tears, irritability, fear, etc.  I had taken Welbutrin to stop smoking with awful side effects, but Paxil works fine.  The problem?  I can sleep at work, sitting up, anytime.  I'm not tired, but the minute I get in bed...that's it. Also have blurred night vision.  I decreased dosage to 10mg and things are better, but I still sleep too much.  My gynecologist suggested 10mg of Prozac, and I would love to try it.  The questions are:  is it similar to Welbutrin, and #2.  how long must I be off Paxil before taking Prozac? Can I take Paxil on a Tuesday, then switch to Prozac on Wednesday?  I'm a fearful pill taker and would appreciate any advice!
I can understand your concerns about medications. It is not uncommon for Paxil to cause excessive sedation, which is unlikely to happen if you switch to Prozac. Like Paxil, Prozac is a Serotonin Specific Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI), and is not structurally or chemically related to Wellbutrin. You can start Prozac the next day after your last dose of Paxil.
hi ann i know what your going through .i on paxil .i take 10mg. i sleep a lot thats not normal .i was on nightmare from hell .And believe me thats PROZAC. i was sucidal like having thoughts of killing myself. it was like someone was living in your body it was pure hell. alli could think of was dying actually i thought  i was, i had to see a shrink. what a mess i was in .i have a lovely family i didnt want to see them.while i was on them. i said noway am i going through this i gave them a pitch.i on paxil now i have few side effects but  nothing like that  take care   vicky