Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paxil vs. Prozac
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Paxil vs. Prozac
I am a 50-year old female.  My doctor prescribed 20 mg of Paxil for me, and diagnosed minor depression, ie: tears, irritability, fear, etc.  I had taken Welbutrin to stop smoking with awful side effects, but Paxil works fine.  The problem?  I can sleep at work, sitting up, anytime.  I'm not tired, but the minute I get in bed...that's it. Also have blurred night vision.  I decreased dosage to 10mg and things are better, but I still sleep too much.  My gynecologist suggested 10mg of Prozac, and I would love to try it.  The questions are:  is it similar to Welbutrin, and #2.  how long must I be off Paxil before taking Prozac? Can I take Paxil on a Tuesday, then switch to Prozac on Wednesday?  I'm a fearful pill taker and would appreciate any advice!
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I can understand your concerns about medications. It is not uncommon for Paxil to cause excessive sedation, which is unlikely to happen if you switch to Prozac. Like Paxil, Prozac is a Serotonin Specific Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI), and is not structurally or chemically related to Wellbutrin. You can start Prozac the next day after your last dose of Paxil.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
hi ann i know what your going through .i on paxil .i take 10mg. i sleep a lot thats not normal .i was on nightmare from hell .And believe me thats PROZAC. i was sucidal like having thoughts of killing myself. it was like someone was living in your body it was pure hell. alli could think of was dying actually i thought  i was, i had to see a shrink. what a mess i was in .i have a lovely family i didnt want to see them.while i was on them. i said noway am i going through this i gave them a pitch.i on paxil now i have few side effects but  nothing like that  take care   vicky
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...