Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Propranolol

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Propranolol
My partner was today prescribed Propranolol for anxiety. Can you tell me how long it will be until these take effect?  He was hoping immediately.  Also, I was concerned to read that Propranolol may lead to depression.  Can you shed any light?

many many thanks

Bag Puss
Propranolol works by blocking the adrenalin response in the body. It should help with the anxiety almost immediately unless a greater dose is needed than the starting dose.  It does not cause depression, it just diminishes the hyper alert state of anxiety.
That has put my mind at rest - many thanks for your time.
CCB
Proprananol is an antihypertensive med, and it blocks acetylcholinergic and serotonergic activity (not enough serotonin in the synapse has been found to be associated with depression, so maybe thats were you got the idea, and as one of the rarer side effects, depression is listed--www.fda.gov has info on it). But if anyone is taking proprananol, I was thinking of trying it for anxiety so if you have good luck with it I would like to hear more about it. Thanks
I have been taking Propranolol for a few weeks now for axiety and migrains.  It has help very much for me.