Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Re: Side Effects from Benzodiazpines, Zoloft and Trazadone

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Posted By Paula on June 05, 1999 at 03:28:13
I have experienced side effects from all three of these medications listed above.  I am attempting to learn more about these side effects and where I can find out more information about certain ones.  
I experienced suicidal and homicidal ideations after taking an
overdose on Serax.  I was also taking Zoloft at the time (did not overdose on the Zoloft).  I was extremely upset over something that happened at work and was trying to calm myself down by taking the Serax.  One capsule didn't work, so I took another.  By the time someone finally thought of taking the bottle of pills away from me I had ingested approximately 15 capsules of 15mg each.
I have heard that angry outbursts can be a side effect of both the Serax and the Zoloft.
I had never in the past had thoughts of harming other people, and I do not remember making threats that they tell me I made that afternoon.  
My questions are:
1.  Have you heard of this particular side effect associated with Serax and/or Zoloft?
2.  Do you know where I can locate information about this.  My job is on the line unless I get some backup information.
Thank you for your assistance with this matter.  I have been feeling much better, and want to return to work, but so far they are refusing to let me return without more information.  If I can obtain information about persons having this type of reaction then perhaps I can sway the committee.  THANK YOU!!

Posted By Amber on June 16, 1999 at 11:42:26
I know that Zoloft does not have this side effect.  It may cause dizziness or nausea but it decreases your irritability.  I know this because I take it on a regular basis.   I don't know about Serax, it very well could be the problem.  But I can tell you that Zoloft isn't the problem.

Follow Ups: