Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Short-term Memory Loss and Paxil

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Short-term Memory Loss and Paxil

Dear Dr. Gould:

I am a 47-year-old woman with a history of depression and allergies.  I have been taking Paxil for about 10 years, and I also take Remeron for sleep difficulties; previously I took Trazodone but changed to Remeron about four months ago.  I also take Zyrtec, Humibid, and Sudafed for allergies.  I am in good health otherwise.

I have been experiencing progressively worsening impairment of short-term memory.  I failed several college courses recently despite putting in at least 40 hours a week on homework and studying, and I was frequently an honor roll student in high school.  Nothing seems to stick in my memory, and I flunked all of my tests.  I have always had a super strong visual memory and a near-photographic memory for written material until the last few years.  However, I have completely forgotten movies I have seen within the past 2-3 years, and cannot recall the unfolding plot until I see it happen again.  I cannot remember what I read in earlier chapters of books.  

In addition, a niece of mine admitted that she had experienced short-term memory problems while taking Depakote.

Could the long-term use of Paxil be affecting my memory, or for that matter, could any of the other medications I take be to blame?
The most likely suspect is Remeron.  Short term memory loss has been reported frequently. I would see if I could get along without Remeron orTrazodone, and see if your mind doesn't sharpen up after a couple of weeks.
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
I too experienced short-term memory loss from Paxil after post pardem depression. It saved my life by relieving the depression, but when I started experiencing the memory loss, I took myself off it. I never took medication for depression and/or any mental health issue, before nor after that one time.
Avatar n tn
I take Paxil and am having problems with memory loss. I was told by my doctor three years ago that he could find nothing in the literature associating memory loss with Paxil as a side-effect. Like others in this thread (and elsewhere, on other threads), I see that I am not alone in thinking that memory loss is an effect of taking Paxil. I used to have an excellent memory, short and long; I was even known for it in my graduate school class. Now, all is changed. I have tried to lower my dose, but experienced dizziness and nausea. I have not yet decided to go off it altogether, for fear of such consequences