Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Swelling on Wellbutrin?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Swelling on Wellbutrin?

I have been taking 300 mg. of Wellbutrin daily for the past week. I have noticed that my abdomen is quite swollen. You should also know that I had hernia surgery, with an abdominal incision, in February 2003. I am not sure if the swelling is because I am still technically post-op, of because of the Wellbutrin. I would have to say that I experienced some swelling before the Wellbutrin, and was certain that was due to the hernia surgery, but since I've been on Wellbutrin it has gotten worse. Other than this I am feeling fine. Perhaps I should also tell you that I have had 8 abdominal surgeries in as many years. I am on Wellbutrin because of mood swings related to surgical menopause (without estrogen)and because my doctor thought it would ease my hot flashes. Thanks very much.
There is nothing about Wellbutrin that can cause swelling directly, and it is most likely from other causes.  You should talk to your doctor and explain your symptoms in detail to make sure you don't have swelling because of either liver or surgical sequalae.