Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Visual Illusions
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Visual Illusions

Hello.  I've been having what my psychatrist calls borderline visual hallucinations/visual illusions, and I'd like your opinion. As a background, I am diagnosed bipolar 1, but I've never had a psychotic episode.  My meds are 1500mg Depakote, 225mg Lamictal, 160mg Gedon, and 2.5mg Zyprexa.  I was diagnosed two years ago.  At that time I was prescribed Ambien for sleep.  I started abusing Ambien and would take about 3, and when I took them, I would get visual distortions.  The distortions included the following: the room looked like it was breathing, objects would move and jump out at me, and I would see objects swirl and streak.  I stopped taking Ambien, but for over the past two years, if I didn't sleep for 24 hours, I'd get the same symptoms.  In October, I was having a series of anxiety attacks, and the symptoms returned.  My psychatrist put me on the 2.5mg of Zyprexa, and the anxiety and worst of the visuals stopped.  However, almost everyday since, I've had minor visuals.  In these instances, I will see small and quick streaks of objects, most often in my periphery.  My psychatrist says this is atypical for bipolar disorder, but he also said it was atypical for a neurological disorder.  I posed the same question to the neurologist on here, and he said it sounded more psychiatric than neurological.  Also, I saw an opthamologist today, and he saw nothing wrong with my eyes.  I was wondering, have you ever seen anything like this? What do you think  could be causing it? Thanks.