This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.
Posted by Shelly on July 05, 1999 at 12:24:05
My mother was diagnosed with bipolar disorder over ten years ago. She believes she is a doctor, profit, ninja etc. Her behavior is very scary for us. I have three other siblings and we are all in the twenty to thirty year range. We have been through so much with mom and we all wonder if we are going to have this disorder as well. Can we be tested or something? Mom went too long before she was diagnosed. We arent really sure what the begining phases are that would need to be recognized. Can you help?
Posted by HFHS.MD-AJ on July 07, 1999 at 17:53:58
I can understand the concerns you and your siblings have with regards to the risk of having bipolar disorder like your mother. Family studies have shown that if one parent has bipolar disorder, there is a 25% chance that any child will have a mood disorder such as depression or bipolar disorder; if both parents have bipolar disorder, there is a 50-75% chance that a child will have depression or bipolar disorder.
There are no recognized tests for diagnosing bipolar disorder. The disorder is diagnosed clinically by symptoms of mania or hypomania, such as euphoria/abnormally elevated mood, irritability, increased energy, grandiosity, decreased need for sleep, racing thoughts, flight of ideas, increased or pressured speech, agitation, unrestrained shopping sprees, or sexual indiscretions. These symptoms persist for at least 4-7 days, and may be associated with alternating symptoms of depression. Bipolar disorder often manifests initially with symptoms of depression such as sadness, loss of interest/motivation, withdrawn behavior, feelings of worthlessness/hopelessness/helplessness, low energy, appetite/sleep disturbance, and sometimes thoughts of suicide.
This response is for general information only. Always consult your physician for any health concerns.
Keywords: bipolar disorder, mania, hypomania, depression
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.