POST accutane Birth Defects

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

POST accutane Birth Defects

I am about to start taking Accutane. I can't tell you how nervous I am. I have read so many terrible stories. None of them even matter to me as much as the two I heard relating to birth defects YEARS after the mother had taken ACCUTANE. I have read tons about NOT getting pregnant while on the medicine, that I understand. However having children is my soul purpose in life and I will absolutely not go on this drug if it will cause birth defects AFTER being off it. Please offer me some insight before I make a mistake....Thanks
Tags: Accutane
Isotretinoin (INN) ( Accutane) is a medication used for the treatment of severe acne. It is sometimes used as a chemotherapy medication for prevention and treatment of certain skin cancers.It is a retinoid, meaning it derives from vitamin A and is found in small quantities naturally in the body.

Isotretinoin is a teratogen and is highly likely to cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. A few of the more common birth defects that this drug can cause are hearing and visual impairment, missing earlobes, facial dysmorphism, and mental retardation. Isotretinoin's use is contraindicated in pregnancy.

The manufacturer recommends that pregnancy be excluded in female patients two weeks prior to commencement of isotretinoin, and that they should use effective contraception (sometimes two simultaneous forms are recommended) at least one month prior to commencement, during, and for at least one month following isotretinoin therapy.

In the U.S. more than 2,000 women have become pregnant while taking the drug between 1982 and 2003, with most pregnancies ending in abortion or miscarriage. About 160 babies with birth defects were born. Consequently, the iPLEDGE program was introduced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on 12 August 2005 in an attempt to ensure that female patients receiving isotretinoin do not become pregnant – as of 1 March 2006, only prescribers registered and activated in iPLEDGE are able to prescribe isotretinoin, and only patients registered and qualified in iPLEDGE will be able to have isotretinoin dispensed.

It  will not cause birt defects years after taking it. If thea bove mentioned precautions are taken then it will have no effect on any subsequent pregnancies you might have.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acutane
Another poster asked, "My boyfriend just started taking Accutane. He has had terrible headaches, dizziness and mood swings after taking it. My question is can his taking Accutane cause birth defects if I was to get pregnant?"

This is enough signs to STOP Taking ACCUTANE immediately

The symptoms you mention are what butyl will cause and there is a butylated inert ingredient in Accutane
http://www.valdezlink.com/inipol/pages/accutane_warnings.htm

That is what would happen to someone who is exposed to BUTYL or 2-butoxyethanol

It is the CFIDS, CFS, FM, ME and 'gulf war syndrome' causing chemical.

The MSDS says it causes reproductive harm and that it targets the testes, therefore the reproductive systems of men are at more risk than that of a woman.

I know a young man who took this as a teen, and he has never been able to have children, whereas there was no problem for either his brother or his sister in having children

I suspect it harms men's reproductive systems if too much butyl

and it can cause birth defects - high on the list of suspect for birth defects would be Autism and anything that is autoimmune.

Doctors don't realize this yet.  They don't know the anemia of CFIDS or the cause of 'gulf war syndrome' either.

If I knew these things when my daughter wanted to take meds to clear up minor skin blemishes ... when she was a teen, I would have NEVER just gone along with what the doctor ordered.  She is a large boned young woman, and her two children have both been about a month early (puzzeling the doctors), and they have minor birth defects and the youngest is slow to develop.
I stopped taking accutane the last week of April of 2009. I started my menses on May 11, 09. I went on vacation and did not take my pill at least one day and then i forgot to take it another day but doubled up the next day. I had unprotected sex on the 25th of May. I took a pregnancy test and it came out positive on June15th. What are the chances of severe defects to by unborn child? I am at least 4wks pregnant. Is there anyone that has experienced getting pregnant right after taking accutane and what were the results? Please help!!!!
My best friend's boyfriend was taking accutane when they had unprotected sex in early January or possibly late December. They are both only 15. She doesn't want an abortion and is planning to give up the baby for adoption, but with the idea that it could be born with birth defects scares them both. She is probably around 20 days along. Do you have any information I can give them?