Question about pigment left behind after shave biopsy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I had a shave biopsy on a mole that was on my thigh.  There was pigment left behind after the shave.  The pathology came back as an intradermal melanocytic nevus.  My question is can this pigment left begind turn into cancer?  It is kind of hard to monitor because the pigment left behind is irregular (and was from the day i took my bandage off, it was not a change)  should i leave it alone because it came back benign or should i have it cut out (the entire thing)

Melanocytic nevus is a lesion or mole that contains nevus cells (melanocytes). If it is found in the dermis then it is called intradermal melanocytic nevus. Sometimes, what happens is that melanocytes left behind in the wound regrow in an abnormal pattern. This is accompanied by scarring, inflammation, and blood vessel changes which may resemble a melanoma. So even if you have got it removed , keep an eye on the changes.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.