Rash around the neck.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash around the neck.

My daughter got two new necklaces for christmas.  Five days ago she woke up with a terrible red rash around her neck.  The one necklace is silver so I had her take it off.  I thought it might be an allergy.  I am allergic to certain metals and so I thought maybe she could be also.  I gave her Zyrtec that she usually only needs during allergy season.  That didn't help and the next day the rash was worse and driving her crazy cause its so itchy.  I had her take off the other necklace and then shower and we tried the Zyrtec again.  That didn't help.  It seems like its going away during the day but when she wakes up in the morning its worse all over again.  I had her sleep in her sisters bed to see if it changed and it didn't.  I had her sleep in my bed and she still woke up worse than when she went to sleep.  Anyone ever have this issue?  Any advice would really help.
Tags: rash
From the symptoms it looks like contact dermatitis to the metals of the necklace. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin. Also use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Steroids may be needed. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.