Red short squiggly lines on inner thigh...?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Firstly, I'm 14 years old. I am 5'6'' and weigh 137 pounds, but in December of 2012 I weighed 100, so I just gained the weight. I don't think I was eating any differently, exercising any differently, or making any major lifestyle changes as far as physical health goes. Through the weight gain I gained it in my hips and legs, mostly. I've tried to lose the weight but I can't seem to get it off. I'm a dancer, but this summer I have had to take a break because of one injury that led to multiple more. So I haven't been exercising to the level that I have been in the past. Because of this, I've lost a lot of muscle in my legs and abdominals that has been replaced by fat. It's safe to say that I'm in my worst physical shape ever, but that isn't much of a stretch because, as previously mentioned, I'm only 14.

Around March of this year is when I noticed that I was gaining weight. I noticed because as I was about to get into the shower one night, as I turned around I saw these short, light pink squiggly lines all over by bum cheeks. They were purple in some areas. That's when I noticed the ones on my inner thigh. They're short and squiggly as the ones on the cheeks, but these were red. Like, dark red, almost purple. They're about 2 or 3 inches more back of the very innermost part of my thigh, under the cheeks.

Now, both sets of short, squiggly lines are much worse. I have blue spots on my bum cheeks themselves and the lines underneath are dark, dark purple. The ones below are also spreading further and further down my leg. If I wear shorts too short you can see them, which is beyond embarrassing.

They're definitely not sores, it's definitely inside my body. I'm no expert (obviously... that's why I'm here) but it looks like a blood/circulation related thing...? They never go away, and they don't really move around. They are absolutely humiliating... They're impossible to miss, therefore, I can't go swimming, I can't go to the beach, I can't really do anything seeing as it's summer and over 100 degrees outside. If you could help me figure out what they are and give me some advice as to how to get rid of them, that would be so great. I don't know if it's serious enough to see a doctor or even how much the doctor could help get rid of them, but really, any help is very appreciated.

Very.

They're stretch marks. I was about your age when my first ones appeared and I thought I clawed myself in my sleep, lol. I freaked out and ran to my mom and she told me otherwise.

They'll fade from that reddish/purple color to a color closer to your skin tone. Using vitamin E oil or just keeping your skin moisturized can help them fade.

They're completely normal, I think it'd be hard to find a woman without stretch marks. :) A lot of men, too.

(I have them all over my body from rapidly gaining weight to 200 pounds from a medication, I've lost it, but the weight gain was so fast I have stretch marks on my tummy, hips, inner and outer thighs, inner arms, chest, and low back but they're faded.)
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers