Dermatology Community
Small white bump on lower lip
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Small white bump on lower lip

I have had a small (2mm) white bump on the outside of my lower lip near the lip line for over 6 years.  It's not at all painful, has never bled unless I have picked at it, and it has never increased in size.  It is barely raised at all, and if you ran your finger across my lip, you probably wouldn't even feel it.  I saw a dermatologist about it when it first showed up and he tried to burn it off, but unsuccessfully.  I saw a clinic doctor about it, and he thought was a cold sore.  I recently asked my dentist about it, and she had no idea what it was.  She did a special test on me for oral cancer on the inside of my mouth, and found nothing.  I've tried cold sore medications, keeping my lips moisturized, and several home remedies, and nothing has worked.
I've recently become a bit more concerned about it, and I want to know if there is reason to be.  I will be seeing my doc in about 6 months for my annual exam - can I wait until then to ask for dermatologist referral?  Is that even necessary?