leathery flaking penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

leathery flaking penis

i have a rough leathery dry rash on my penis that is flaking.  the outer layer of skin keeps dying and flaking off in sections every 1-2 days. it is on the front of the head, and on the top of the shaft. there is no pain, or itching or swelling, or open sores.  no history of eczema or other skin condition. i think it may have been prompted by a new bodywash. i have had this for over a week, and it doenst seem to be improving. i have been adding shea butter to it lately. it seems as if the elasticity of the skin is gone, when it is erect it looks tight and when flacid it looks wrinkled. does this sound familiar to anyone?
As the dryness of penis has started appearing after using the body wash, so it can be due to contact dermatitis of the penis. Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating. Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort after consulting a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.