Dogs Community
Bad Eating Habit

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Bad Eating Habit

One of our two female dogs (German Sheppard) is in heat and the other one (Jack Russell) got a hold of her pad while we by mistake had left it on the ground when they were outside in the yard. According to my husband it appeared as if the JR had eaten some of the pad. My question is 1. Is it harmful? and 2. What do I do to help her if she has problems going to the toilet? She did go a little while ago and had a normal "go at it" but I  am still not convinced.

Thank You
Just keep an eye on the little scavenger.  :-)  Most of the time, when a dog eats a non-food item it will simply pass through in a day or two.  If you see any signs of abdominal bloating, fever, lack of appetite, constipation, lethargy and/or vomiting, then the material has obstructed the intestines.  That is an emergency condition requiring immediate surgery.  The pad itself should not be poisonous in any way, and should cause no harm as long as it passes through.  Since your JRT didn't consume the entire pad, my guess is that she should be just fine.