Dog not eating - mirtazapine appetite stimulant, any success?
my 13 yr old dacshund had 13 teeth pulled with multiple mouth abscesses a little over 2 weeks ago.  prior to that he had poor appetite and when he did eat food would fall from his mouth.  he also lost a lot of weight.  prior to the dental the vet did a complete blood panel which was normal.  he had the procedure done and started eatting "some" foods the next day.  mostly human food and he would only eat a little bit of canned dog food.  a little over a week later we noticed he would not eat again and seemed uniterested.  we took him back to the vet and they did x-rays of his organs and didn't see anything wrong.  they also did another blood panel and his white blood cell counts were high indicating an infection.  he is now taking a liquid antibiotic, clavamox. they also gave his an antibiotic shot.  the next day he still had little interest in food and i took his blood test results, etc to another vet for a second opinion.  the vet pretty much concurred with the first vet but gave him another anitbiotic shot and also a prescription for Mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite.  the bottle of mirtazapine said give one 15 mg tablet once daily, the vet said to give him 1/2 the tablet (i think) and i read on the internet that for a 10 lb dog only 3.75 mg should be used.  it is sunday and the vet is not open to clarify things.  has anyone had success with mirtazapine to increase a dog's appetite???????  thanks...
my dog was on it as well, did not do a thing to stimulate her appetite either... sorry.  hope your dog is doing better.