Dogs Community
Heart failure,bladder stones&enlarged liver

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my dog is a dachsund, she is 14 1/2 years old. A few days ago, she got ill, her abdomen distended and hard. We brought her to the vet, the vet said that her abdomen is twisted and had to bring to the ER to do surgery. The ER run the test and said that her abdomen is not twisted, but she had 4/6 systolic left-sided heart murmer, enlarged heart, indication of early heart failure, bladder stones and an enlarged liver. SHe was stabilized and we were allowed to bring her home. After that day, I noticed that she has not urinate a lot. I was thinking that her bladder stones caused it. 1. Why the Vet did not suggest any med? Then, she panting all the time, but mostly at night and morning, when she walk around it seems to help that she is not panting. She does not look comfortable when she is sitting and she will panting whenever she sit. 2. Is it the sign of heart failure? My boyfriend wants to put her down so that she will not suffer anymore, besides she is old. On the other side, I want to do the best to help her live, if any medication would help her comfort. 3.  if with proper medication, how long that she still can live?  4. Are the vets not suggest medication because of her enlarged liver? By the way, we do not want any surgery because we think she is too old to handle that and even with surgery, we scared that we wont live long. Please help me, if she will live and capable with medication, I would go again to the vet to discuss medication. Because right now my boyfriend almost decided to put her down, please I need support which decision to make
I think your vet should have answered each of your questions, they are VERY important to the health and life of your dog, and I'm sure you paid him enough to be able to expect answers.  I would call him back and ask him, and if he won't give you any satisfaction, I would see another vet.  Don't give up on your dog until you have answers, or you'll always regret not doing everything possible that you could,  Good Luck and let us know how you make out.