Dogs Community
My dog wont stop itching!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog wont stop itching!!!

I really hope you can help.
My dog is driving me crazy, so I cant imagine what she is going through.
She is a 3 year old shih tzu called Bella. And does not stop itching. She has frontline regulary and the house has been done with a flea spray bought from the vets. But she does not stop.  Where she has been itching so much she has caused scabbing in certain areas, sometimes when she is really itching she starts to whine/cry. I hate to see it, and my vets just dont seem to be helping. Could it be Atopy or mange?
Any ideas??
-7 Comments Post a Comment
She could have a food allergy.   Our dog developed this when she was 2 yrs old.  
She receives cortizone shots and takes benadryl.    
Please list everything you've done to remedy this situation. Also, What is her Primary Food and have you ever changed it? Where does she itch the most and where are most of the scabs located? What has your Vet tried? Is this year round or part of the year? How long have you used Frontline? Need some more info. and I'll try to help you....Karla P.S. My niece has a shih-tzu named Bella. She lives right across the street from me. :)
This sure has all the signs of mange. The winning while scratching is clasic mange and the scabbing also, also a unpleasent smell in the scabby areas. They wine from the extreme itchyness in sort of a pain pleasure noise , it's like a bad case of poison ivy to us. Large doses of Heart gaurd are required for a few months, ask your vet for the specifics on dose and breeds ability to tolerate. And yes she can and will get it even on heartgaurd.
  My mut got it from fighting with the cyotes outback.

Harry
yeast on the skin? It's relentless- is there a greasy feeling on tummy or anywhere?

if so- get your wallet out- the med is expensive- :-) and it was recurring in our german shepherd... they do a skin scrape/ lab confirms....

Give benadryl anyways to get some relief and I would suggest changing vets

I have this problem with my shihtzu comes on with the change of seasons...Called hot spots and starts pretty much overnight ( one day not scratching next day wont stop)
can be caused by allergies etc my shihtzu has a problem called flea bite allergic dermititis (something like that) the only thing that stops this is a cortisone injection works within 3/4 hours....He averages an episode like this once a year ...(Autumn usually).
ps  Hotspots is a symptom not a diagnosis so you need to find out what is causing the itching ...eg..food,pollen,fleas,mites....

ne55
Our dog had that problem too. The vet wasn't 100% sure, but gave me a shampoo for yeast to bathe him in. The shampoo would only work for a couple days, then the itching would start again.

I did some research and switched him to a dog food free of wheat or corn and he recovered very quickly.

Good luck!
Definitely try the change in diet.

I'm so sorry.  I hate to see them sratching all the time.  My Yorkie did also for a while and part of her problem (besides her previously poor diet) was from the rejection she had experienced before I got her at 6 years.  When she felt rejected or thought we were going to leave her, it began another episode.  Stress Remedy drops or spray can help calm them.

Try also fresh aloe vera gel for the spots.  I used it on my sons when, as teenagers, they contracted chicken pox!  It lasts for an hour or so (on chicken pox, anyway) and then they would yell, "Mom, we need some more!"  It's an astringent, so it dried up the sores and also relieved the itching.