Dogs Community
Scratched cornea

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Scratched cornea

I am purchasing a schitzu who is now 6 wks old. When she was born her cornea got scratched by another pup but it wasn't discovered until she was 5 wks old. She is now getting hydrocortisone drops but I am concerned that the film over her eye will not disappear and she may have some long term effects from it. Should I be worried?
Tags: cornea
Hi Christine,  I read your post and am wondering how the breeder of the pup knows for sure how the eye was injuried. If they knew the eye had been scratched, they should have had it checked by a vet. I wonder if they are guessing that happened. Does the pup have blue eyes? It could be that the puppy already has eye problems. I would be concerned because they didn't give proper care to the pup when it was injuried. It is possible that the eye is o.k., because dogs have what is called a third eyelid. It helps to protect the eye when injuried. But what would bother me is that they let is go for so long. You can try to test the eye by moving you finger in front of the dogs eye, to see if it blinks, or pulls away. That is not always a true test though, because some puppies don't blink even when there eyes are fine. As far as being a good pet goes, the eye problem won't effect that. But I would sell the pup at a reduced price because of the eye. I think that is only fair, because you will probably have it at the vets office more to keep a close watch on it. Just to let you know Shih-Tzus can have eye problems. I'am a breeder.