Why does my dog lick his foot so much?
I have a 3yr old english mastiff. He has been licking his left foot since 1.5yr ago. It started off with him licking his dew claw and then pretty much chewing it off. He got a really bad infection, I took him to the vet and got it all taken care of. He had been leaving it alone for awhile until just recently, and now he is back to chewing that same dew claw. He has also been licking the bottom of his foot right above the big pad. What would be causing him to do this, its almost like he is complusive with it?
Dogs will often chew, lick, and bite themselves until they bleed if they are in pain.  I didn't understand this until my vet explained this behavior to me with my dachshund some years ago.

He may have reinfected that dew claw, have a very small sliver, have a skin condition, or it could be completely unrelated to that area but it is just his "comforting" behaviour because there is something else wrong,  Please get him to the vet and see what your vet has to say.