Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
ED Viagra and Zoloft

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

ED Viagra and Zoloft

Dr.  I am 68, married for 42 years, and due to past career problems was put on 75mg of Zoloft. That was 3-4 years ago. Now, with ED problems which Viagra doesn't improve at all ( I still get the strong feelings, but no erection) and with Testosterone replacement therapy which has restored my testosterone levels to normal... I am at a loss to figure out what my problem is. Can it be the Zoloft? just age? or possibly something else... Would much appreciate insight.
Tags: ED
Hi Tim.

I'm glad you've written to me because I think I can clear this up.

Zoloft is reported to cause sexual side effects in some men. However, it’s difficult to know with any certainty whether this is actually caused by the medication itself or by your depression, since sexual side effects are very common in people with depression. You don't mention whether you are in therapy, but you would benefit from seeing a therapist who is trained to help people with sexual concerns.

Since you've noticed sexual side effects, ask about taking a smaller dose, taking it at a different time of day or adding Wellbutrin to your regimen. Wellbutrin is the anti-depressant with the lowest association to sexual side effects. Your doc should be willing to help you experiment with finding a regimen that works best for your sexual health. Best of luck to you. Dr. J