Fibromyalgia Community
Fibro and foot pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibro and foot pain

I wanted to know if anyone else with fibro has pain in their feet. I have severe pain in my feet which is brought on by walking. Can't walk too long before it sets in. Was told it was plantar fascitis. Went to a podiatrist who said it was tarsal tunnel. Went to orthopedic surgeon who said it wasn't that. He did x-rays, an MRI and nerve tests and all showed NOTHING! He said there seemed to be nothing wrong and couldn't help. Just wondering if in some way it could be connected to my fibro.
Possibly. I find that I get pain in wrists and fingers. Can't help with medical advice but I feel for you mate. I know exactly what your'e going through. My pain stay constantly in left hip and wrists and neck, but on bad days other parts that I never knew I had hurt like hell. I get cramp in feet on occasions and tingling with some numbness. Pain varies in all of us so your foot problem could be related.
I have the problem with footpain and hand pain. When I was first diagnosed with fibro. the pain was located in my muscles that surrounded my joints. A year went by and my symptoms increased along with the intense pain in my hands and feet. I finally found a doctor who diagnosed my condition. My endocrinologist after much discussion and testing discovered that I had insulin resistance (metabolic syndrome). The pain in my hands and feet I was feeling felt like a diabetic neuropothy. She explained to me that through a special diet, moderate exercise and medication (metformin to help with blood glucose) I would eventually get back to normal. It will take time because it was severe. After 6 weeks of this regimen I have a lot less body pain, hands and feet feel much better, less fatigue, fewer headaches and have lost 12 lbs. I think loosing the weight was a bonus. Here is a web site that you may want to look into. It explains what insulin resistance (metabolic syndrome) is and the complications that come along with it.
www.naturalchoicesforyou.com/site/680805/page/219656
Feel free to message me if you need any more info.
I've been living w Fibro for 13+yrs. now and I always know when I'm in for a flare-up because my feet and hands begin to hurt, just a deep ache that persists. The other night my feet hurt so bad I had to get up out of bed to rub some tiger balm on them just so I could get to sleep. If I have an evening when I don't get enough sleep, my hands and feet hurt. When I'm going through a stressfull time, my feet and hands hurt. They are kind of like my indicators for my Fibro, kind of odd, but it's always been that way.
YES! I have foot tremendous foot pain!! Mostly in my left foot but both feet hurt. It's also mostly in the a.m. when I 1st get out of bed. I have had fibro for 17 years & this foot pain just started within the last couple of months! I feel your pain. LITERALLY! I'm sorry you have to deal with this horrible debilitating illness. I wish there was something that drs could do for us so we could live a "normal" life again.

Jen
my foot discomfort is kind of recent. feels like swollen esp at night, but not swollen to look at. more uncomfy than it is painful. for me i think it's to do with me having been seated and sedentary for 3 years, i.e. poor circulation and blood settling in feet. i also spent some time in a really cold country one winter and i think i got borderline frostbite, which i think damaged my feet!
my extremities are always cold when the weather is cold; i have crummy peripheral circulation
Yes, I have foot pain, especially at the toe joints and ankles. i too have pain in the hands- wrists and fingers
My dh with fibro has pain in his feet.
I have chronic problems with foot and hand pain as well. Feeling like a had a sprain in my foot at times. Hurts to have even water hit it.  I also have this pain in my lower legs.  It hurts to walk ( feels almost as if the muscle is not long enough). If I even touch the skin around the area it hurts like as if I smashed as bruise against a wall.. Do any of u have this issue? From time to time if I put on a low heal it will help with the pain of walking.
I also have the pain in my hands, wrists, fingers along with swelling.... It is so hard to go through all of this without support and just to have people who understand what I am going through.  I have been in chronic pain for the last 10 yrs on top of all of this My ribs dislocate often. This is the worst pain of all.. I hope that one of u will contact me and we can support eachother.. Thanks Ever
I also have foot ache/ pain as well as hands.  I have tried using Ben Gay at night and when the pain is intense and it seems to help.  I have also started taking a mix of glucosamine/ condroiten (spelling) this helps, but does not eliminate the pain.  I take Osteo-bioflex triple strnegth.  I have also wrapped my feet in a heating pad, which helps me to stay active.  I feel like me hands/ feet are swollen (but not to look at) and cold.
My advise to you is Dont waste your time and money with Fibro as a diagnosis for hand and foot pain especially if you have swelling. Keep pestering for a real diagnosis and real treatment for your pain. After 2 years of my life were wasted living with CFS/fibro diagnosis and no treatment I pursued a real diagnosis, cost me a fortune but I got it in the end, and it turns out I had psoriatic arthritis all along and on treatment now at last. I have very mild psoriasis but it was there when I first had problems but no doc bothered to look into it so thats why I dont believe in fibro any more. There's a reason for everybodies pain but you may have to"look outside the box" yourself because in my expierience a lot of docs wont!
Let me say that over the last few years, and maybe a few years before I had fibro.  I would get strange aches and pains here and there, some even hurt so bad I went to the emergency rm, for them to say they don't know what it is.  Crazy enough.  Not really when you have fibro.  At any moment something can strike up, I know it *****.  Its ***** that when something is really wrong you may not get it treated because well it is probably fibro pain.  I had a pain in my left foot so bad I couldn't stand on it one bit. After a couple of days I decided to go to the er.  Nothing!!!Nothing!!!!Nothing!!!  I mean how is that possible.  I have come to a conclusion because we have fibro.  We feel things in extreme.  So when a regular person has a broken foot and that is painful, and we have just twisted, turned hit our foot.  It hurts so bad that it just feels like it is broken.  I barely can walk most days because of the pain in the bottom of my right foot.  That has now came with a numb big toe.  I think it might just be coming from my back being in pain.  I just must be feeling like my back is broken or smushed.  I know its not.  All I have is a tear in my disk, and it is hell.  Sorry to ramble.  I have fibro.  
Have you considered any of the seronegative types of arthritis particularily anklyosing spondylitis. Google it and things like enthesitis, dactylitis,periostitis, plantar fachitis(spelling) tendonitis of all types and sacroilitis. You may find you fit into a category and dont be put off by docs telling you there,s nothing showing up in your blood tests, many of these conditions dont show inflammation or positives but you can still get diagnosed by a well informed rheumy, I did and still dont have a high ESR or CRP. Did you ever try a course of anti-inflammatories or steroids? If they help you are likely to have some form of an arthritis not fibromyalgia! I sincerely hope you find some answers as I for one know what its like to live in a limbo land with no proper diagnosis other than mabey.... timewaster!!
I have lupus and fibro and I have horrible foot/ ankle pain.  My right one is the worst.  Be sure and wear proper shoes for one.  When I walk a lot I cannot wear flip flops because it make sit worse.  i also sometimes wear a small brace on my right ankle to support it.  I have al been to the ER after 5 days of hurting so bad I was sure it was sprained or something and they found nothing.  I am on NSAID's and they help my all over pain but not my ankles or feet.  Sometimes I can just sit in a chair and the fact that they are touching the floor makes them hurt so bad.  They are that way tonight.

Jelly, I understand a lot of people don't believe in fibro and I know it can be a pot for doctors to throw a lot of things in they don't have an answer for but please be careful telling people who are in pain that fibro doesn't exist when they are trying so hard to have attention brought to them and the pain they live with.  There are people being turned away for disability that cannot work because of the pain.  You don't realize how much you are setting the fibro community back by saying such a thing.  Please be careful with your words just because you did not have fibro does not mean it doesn't exist.
I dont for a minute want to upset people already living in pain but do want to make them aware that you can have the types of arthritis that I mention above without any abnormal tests and that there is treatment that will help. I live in Ireland and we have socialised healthcare here although it is wholly inadequate and has a thriving private system running along beside it with the same consultants employed by both systems. In order for you to get any hope of treatment something will have to show up on your tests at the point of entry into the system usually at your local hospital which is rushed and overwhelmed most of the time. My tests were fine so I was turned away 3 times and told I had a virus/cCFS untill eventually my business was gone and I was nearly homeless. I then turned to the private healthcare sector with no insurance only savings, and after a lot of investigations, thorough history taking aswel as newly emerging symptoms I was eventually diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I have had the rash for years but it mild and I had no idea that it could be related and this was overlooked by my local hospital when I got sick first. It is different for everyone but I think there has to be loads of victims out ther who could get better help with their pain if doctors would only investigate thoroughly and look outside the box.
Yes like you and the others on this page, I have had Fibromyalgia for 15 years and I have had very bad food and toe pains. I cannot walk for a long time and when I try to stretch my toe start to cram together and my ankle foot becomes so painful, I have tears running down my cheek. Someone mentioned do not waste your money on a foot doctor, and I totally agree. What I usually do is go into the nail salon and get a 15 min foot massage and It helps. Also I do an exercise where I stand straight and I place both hands on the wall in front of me, one foot bent a little and the other away from me and stretch it that way. That should hopefully help you.
I have Fibro I also ha e Sryingomyelia, herniated disk and up rooted nerve. My left foot on the bottom just under my toes burns like fire and hurts. I have type 2 Diabetes  also. I had Gastric Sleeve Surgery  8 months  ago.I was diagnosed with Fibro 2 yrs ago and put on Savella it along with Gabapentinand HydrocodineAPAP .I was deigned  mySavella and put on Lyrica which  did nothing for 3 months  they then put me back on tha Savella and it took about 2 weeks before I could tell it was working. I wouldn't. Be able to get out of bed with out it.