GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Aciphex vs. Nexium

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Aciphex vs. Nexium

I have been on Aciphex 20 since 2007, with instant results.  After changing Health Ins. , I am told by the current insurer that they won't cover Aciphex.  I must go thru a step program, starting with Nexium, which my Doctor dosed at 40 mg instead of 20 mg, saying Nexium didn't come in 20 and the 40mg of Nexium is comparable to the 20 mg Aciphex .  Questions:  (1) Is the above true?  (2)  Are the side effects the same, and (3) What's the difference between the two.  Thanks for your time.
Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.
We do have the resources here on MedHelp to answer all those questions.I have the link posted below....but if u use the MH tool bar click on Health topics.

Remember that even tho side effects r listed, we all may have a diff reaction to the meds...and when u find one that works, it can stop working after awhile.

As to what the difference is btwn the 2, ur Pharmacist might be able to answer that....

"selma"

http://www.medhelp.org/health_topics/list
Nexium does come in 20 mg.

Hey there, So, if either of which are expensive, both medications have co-pay savings cards you can print off from their websites..I think in England they wouldn't allow Nexium to be sold/patented because it was so similar to Prilosec. Prilosec = Omeprazole vs Nexium = Esomeprazole, just go with Omeprazole and pay the generic copay.
This is an old post, but here is my input:

Nexium is available in 20mg and 40mg dosages.

You can take as much as 80mg per day!

This depends entirely upon your insurance company.

BUT...
You can always call your company-
Or better, your doctor's office can call on your behalf and prequalify you for this prescription.
It is generally as easy as that. (And the Dr.'s office has insurance people that only deal with these issues).

"More" is not always better.
Most especially being aware of the correlation between GERD, and esophageal cancer!
These are not symptoms you want to hide for long; which is why even the OTC meds have the warnings on them NOT to use them for more than 2 weeks w/o contacting your physician.

Please take care, and be aware!
You absolutely need to call your doctor if you are taking that much every day!

Yes.. people take this stuff like candy.. this is one of our top sellers at the pharmacy. And there is not that much long term affects that we know about.. but we keep learning more and more..  please, Get an H. Pylori test to determine if you have that bacteria in your stomach before being on a PPI your entire life... GERD can be resolved with a couple courses of antibiotics/PPIs for only a week or two!
Hi ZJRC,

I have Barrets due to severe GERD and on a waitinglist for the Nissen Fundoplication Surgery.  I got the Barrets while I was on 20mg Nexium treatment - so Nexium obviously did not prevent that from happening and after 2 years of a lot of tests and procedures and seeing different Specialists, I am now on 60-80mg Nexium a day, untill I can have the surgery.

I hate the idea of taking any medication as "every action has a reaction!".  I have had weird tummy-bugs while on the Nexium treatment, so I also don't think that it can be good for long-term use, but some Doctors believe it can prevent you from having surgery...
Have you gone and gotten a second opinion from a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.) or (N.M.D.)?  they are excellent at diagnosing, and getting to the route of the problem. They may have a plan for you using diet, maybe an allergy is causing this.. but they have an awesome view point. They are trained both in western (traditional) medicine, and natural medicines, as well as diet/nutrition. check it out!
In the past 2-3 years I have been to many Doctors.  Saw a Herbalist? (I think it is a type of Naturopathic Doc that looks in your eyes) and got a lot of drops and pills that I just could not keep up with and it was very costly.  Then I went to Gastro Ents and Ear- Nose Throat Spec, and more Gastro Ents and had many tests done to make sure it is all GERD and when we moved to Australia (mid 2011) I had to see a GP to get refill on scripts and treatment for Bronchitis and then the GP sent me to Aussie Gastro Professor and I saw a retired Surgeon who suggested I go for surgery and then I consulted his Associate and now eventually I am on the list for Nissen Fund.

My advice to anyone who suffers from SEVERE GERD:  go to a good Gastro Enterologist, get Endoscopy and some PH testing and Manomatric testing done and if the diagnoses comes back as GERD - then get it fixed.

If the LES does not work properly all the PPI's and dietery changes in the world is not going to make the symptoms disappear.

If it aint broken, then don't fix it.  But if it broken, get it fixed.
I jus started taking aciphex and used to takn 2 40mg nexium a day, am I supose to take 4 aciphex a day being they are just 20mg?
You must follow the directions on the prescription or the OTC package.  I don't know that medication, but you must follow the directions on the package or the directions your doctor gave you.  If he said to just take it but didn't say anything more and this is OTC, follow the directions on the package.  If he had other directions, call his office and get clarification of the directions over the phone.
no no,  just because one medication is 20 mgs and the other is 20mg doesnt mean they are the same potency... its apples and oranges. just follow the directions on the medication label. and also, if you have anthem, or any other private insurance other then a part D insurance, go to aciphex.com and you'll get significant savings... you'll see something saying "Co-pay savings card"... etc, check it out.
Aciphex and Nexium are prescription medications.