GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Can GERD cause neck and back ache?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Can GERD cause neck and back ache?
After having my gallbladder removed 4 months ago I've been experiencing some symptoms that I'm wondering if can be attributed to GERD.  Upper abdominal tenderness, breastbone to navel.  Frequent burping which sometimes comes unexpectedly.  It sometimes feels like a hiccup, my upper abdomen jerks, and then an immediate burp.  I have only had heartburn a couple times throughout this.

Here is where the symptoms get strange.  I've been having achiness in the upper portion of my back.  It will just randomly start aching  in the center and sometimes under both shoulder blades.  It's strange and seems to sometimes happen after I eat.  Also, if I drink anything cold rather quickly it seems to trigger chest discomfort that last anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.  One time some soup that was still somewhat hot and everything from my back up to the back of my neck seemed to tense up and ache.  Anyway reflux could cause that?

I've been having a lot of anxiety recently worrying about what is going on.  I guess that could be causing some of these problems?
Yes these symptoms can occur in GERD.
But the symptoms like chest discomfort after hot or cold drink could be due to esophageal spasms which can be confirmed with esophageal manometry.

If your gallbladder has been removed because of gallstones then a ultrasound scan of the abdomen may be done to rule out stones in the common bile duct.