GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Discomfort after eating
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Discomfort after eating

I am 64 and male and have suffered for many years from acid reflux problems.  I am taking 30mg lansaprazole daily and have done so for 2-3 years.  I had a gastroscope exam in 2005 and then a month ago.  All clear in 2005 and biopsies a month ago all O.K.  But I have a colour photo of my latest diagnosis - Benetts Oesophagus.  Told to return for a further 'scope in 12 months to check the cells have not 'changed'.  I have read about this condition for which the prognosis seems to preclude any immediate worry. I was aked if I had any gallbladder problem and I said that it had never been mentioned to me.  My hiatus hernia is very mild and should apparently not cause a significant problem.

However, my symptoms continue to worry me.  After a meal of any size I feel bloated, have sore patches in different parts of my stomach - mainly highish on the right side. It also then feels tender around the position where I think my liver is.   I feel bloated, and continue to burp a lot after food and drink.  I have stopped my modest wine (20-25 units/week) and stopped eating fatty foods and milk products - all to no avail.

For years, I have needed Gaviscon before going to bed after a mid-evening meal, and have had periodic scary reflux incidents during the night.  I weigh about 86 Kg and suffer from sleep apnoea.

I have been diagnosed with mild angina and take atenolol, eprosartan for blood pressure, and a statin at night, plus 75mg aspirin daily.

Occasionally, I have an short-term ache in the top of my buttocks, away from the spine, and sometimes also on the left side of my waist in the 'love-handle' position.  I presume these are not connected, but I mention them just in case?  Bowells are generally fine.

Despite having just been signed off for a year from the general consultant, I remain concerned that I continue to be unable to eat normally.  Should I see a gastroenterologist or have some other tests?
Hi Caz44,
Since you feel bloated after any meal, a gastric emptying scan may be needed.
For relief of symptoms you may consider taking prokinetics along with lansoprazole you are already on.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
4610897_tn?1393869202
Joseph Sclafani, M.D.Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity