GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
gastric bypass and subsequent problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

gastric bypass and subsequent problems

My daughter had gastric bypass surgery 8 yrs ago..no problems until 7/08 when she had a perforated ulcer.  Since then, she had several more ulcers, hernias, twisted and obstructed bowels and all manner of tests and has been hospitalized 7 more times.  The dr is now telling her that she has a reflux (not acid) that is in her small stomach pouch and they feel they will have to reverse her original bariatric surgery to alleviate her pain.  My questions are:  is this the only option?  can it be controlled with diet?  what caused it to show up and why didn't they catch it 4 weeks ago when she had the same battery of tests for the same painful stomach issues?  And where would I research a good second surgical opinion?  Thank you - I am beside myself with worry and no answers.
Hi.
Impedence monitoring and bilitec test may be done to confirm the reflux ( which is not acidic).
Antacids and  sucralfate may be taken for relief.