GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
gastric bypass and subsequent problems
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

gastric bypass and subsequent problems

My daughter had gastric bypass surgery 8 yrs ago..no problems until 7/08 when she had a perforated ulcer.  Since then, she had several more ulcers, hernias, twisted and obstructed bowels and all manner of tests and has been hospitalized 7 more times.  The dr is now telling her that she has a reflux (not acid) that is in her small stomach pouch and they feel they will have to reverse her original bariatric surgery to alleviate her pain.  My questions are:  is this the only option?  can it be controlled with diet?  what caused it to show up and why didn't they catch it 4 weeks ago when she had the same battery of tests for the same painful stomach issues?  And where would I research a good second surgical opinion?  Thank you - I am beside myself with worry and no answers.