Gallbladder Expert Forum
Can MRCP miss bile duct obstructions?

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Can MRCP miss bile duct obstructions?

Hi, I am currently stuck in the hospital over the weekend and cannot get any answers from anyone here so I thought I would give this a shot. I had an attack on Tuesday night of severe chest and between the shoulder blade pain. An urgent care doc said it was my GERD acting up, although it didn't really feel like it. I still had pain Wed and on Thurs severe fatigue and nausea. My urine Wed and Thurs was dark yellow for no apparent reason. Fri I woke up with darker yellow to brown urine and chalk colored stools. I could not get in touch with my GI so went to ER. Liver enzymes were off and ultrasound showed dilated common bile duct (14 mm) and gallstones. They admitted me. This morning they did MRCP and although I got this info third hand (still have not seen a GI since admission) I was told that all they found were gallstones but none in the ducts. Urine still dark and stool still pale. They won't discharge me but they have nor provided answers either. Is it possible the MRCP missed something? Why would I still have the urine and stools that were off if there is no obstruction and why would the duct be so dilated? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
They shouldn't discharge you. If the duct is clear but dilated a mass needs to be ruled out but your story is more consistent with passing a gallstone with transient obstruction. In this case it would be standard to remove your gallbladder before discharge.