Gallbladder Expert Forum
Gallbladder surgery with possible allergy to clamps

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder removed tomorrow at 6:15am and my Dr. wants to use metal clamps. Problem is, I'm allergic to metal. I'm not exactly sure what types of metals I'm allergic to besides nickle and I was wondering if there were any alternatives to the metal clamps. I've already made all the arrangements for my surgery and was told last minute that the clamp would be metal and that it's pretty much unavoidable. I'm very upset that he tried to keep this from me and I can't believe that there are no other options like a ligation clamp. I'm at my wits end and am about to cancel my surgery if I can't find any other options. Please help!!!!
You can rest assured. Reactions to nickel, cobalt, and chromium are relatively common, especially with the rise of body piercing and costume jewelry. There have been 500,000 to 700,000 laparoscopic cholecystectomies performed annually in the US over the past 22 years. There is not a single report in the literature of a reaction to the titanium clips that are used. Titanium is extremely non-reactive. If you are still concerned about being the first patient out of the 13,000,000 that have come before you to react there are polymer clips that can be used - Hem-O-Lock by Weck. These are readily availabe in most hospitals.