General Health Community
i dont feel right!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

i dont feel right!!!

Why do I never feel right??  I do suffer from anxiety (or so thwy say), high bloodpressure, pre-diabetic, obesity an now high cholesterol (which I've never had before!).  Btw, I'm 33 yr old female, 4' 11' approximately 223 pds

For the past two days I have just felt weird, keep having loose bowel movements an just not right..  I check my sugar an BP an there both Normal.  What could it be??
It's probably a combination of everything you mention.

Anxiety makes everything worse when you let it run away. And hypertension, pre-diabetes, obesity and high cholesterol will ruin your system.

I was feeling like this at the end of last year. 6' male, 30 years old, was 247 pounds. I'm now at 215 and heading down.

Simple changes will add up over time and make you feel a heck of a lot better. If you know all of these issues you have, I suggest making some small changes to begin the process of reconstruction and healing. Simple weight loss can regulate your blood pressure.

Get 30 minutes of walking in every day. Make sure to eat a healthy breakfast (I don't like big meals in the morning, so I eat a banana). I take fish oil pills, garlic and a multi-vitamin in the morning. I take garlic and vitamin D in the afternoon (I live in the north, and have a family history of MS).

Small changes add up. Trust me. I used to weigh 350 pounds and had dropped down to 180 at one point. Excess weight will cause all sorts of terrible things.
I'm so sorry you don't feel well.  It seems you have been suffering from anxiety for so long already.  When you saw your doctor did he/she suggest taking Magnesium?  A lack of Magnesium can cause anxiety and many other symptoms.  This day and age many of us don't get the vitamins and minerals we need from our food.  The suggestions made by mbsc are quite valid.  We may need to lose a little weight to get our blood pressure under control.  Walking seems to be the best exercise for me as I have Fibromyalgia and I am not to overtire myself.  I hope that these suggestions from mbsc and me will help you.
Silverfox makes a great point in regards to minerals. If you're feeling "off", often times it can be something as simple as a lack of something.

For instance, my Dad had resless leg syndrome that was linked to anemia. He had an iron infusion, and: boom! No more RLS.

I was having heart palpitations and I was able to get them under control with adding potassium to my diet (hence my morning banana).
Thank you so much for the advice!!!  I just started taking a multi-vitamin an hope that kicks in soon!!  I know I need to loose weight!  I joined a gym but its like I'm afraid to go :(   its like I have no mind power to so it!  I know that sounds crazy....  I need to get healthy, not only for me but my girls.  Plus I don't want to get full blown diabeties!!!  Im going to go to the health store an see what other vitamins I should add....what is best for lowering cholesterol (besides exercise)??  

Thanks again!!!!
I know how you feel about the gym. As I mentioned, I was once 350 pounds. However, as someone who has lost a combined total of over 200 pounds in two major pushes, I can tell you without hesitation that you cannot get healthy without exercise.

I'm not trying to preach, as someone who had some extra weight, I'm genuinely concerned for your health. Yes, you can lose weight by diet changes alone, but health itself requires frequent exertion to get your various muscles and organs into fighting shape.

If the gym is too unnerving, go for walks. 30 minutes a day to start. Otherwise, regarding the gym, I know how it feels to be self-conscious, but you need to understand something about the gym: nobody gives a rip. They're too concerned with one of two things: getting in shape or meeting people.

Many gyms have personal trainers available, and these people are really helpful in getting you off to a great start. They can show you how to properly use the equipment, they can help you with your health goals and get you started. I'd suggest it.

Beyond that, I don't know your daily diet. My diet currently consists of this:

A banana for breakfast, along with my daily supplements (fish oil, garlic).

Greek-style yogurt after the gym (protein to help rebuild muscle).

Plain oatmeal with flaxseed for lunch (lots of fiber, a nice amount of protein).

And for dinner? Well, I eat whatever I'm into, because my daily diet has so few calories (roughly 400 calories). I need to get myself into a safe zone. Though, it would probably do me better if I would insert more healthy snacks into the day. But. Whatever.

Plain oatmeal is disgusting. But, it works for me.

As for cholesterol, again, you need to exercise. There are things that will help, but they aren't magic: all of them are held together by the exercise bond. It's like getting all the winning pieces to a football team and having a crappy coach. You won't win.

What helps exercise lower cholesterol? Garlic, oatmeal/whole grains, dark grape juice. Those I know off hand. My friend's cholesterol dropped like a rock after I had him on oatmeal and garlic for three months. I guess I've heard fish oil can work, too.

But again, you need to put the cement between the bricks: exercise. I promise you, 30 minutes of walking  every day will begin the process of making a new you.

Weight loss works the same way as cholesterol. There are many things that can help you (diet, minerals, supplements) but they're bricks: you need cement to keep them together.

Try to remove pop (soda, whatever), processed foods (like crappy breads, fast food, frozen dinners), sugary snacks. Start small and work up.

I'll say it again, because I have a bad habit of repeating myself, but small changes become big changes over time. That's how I lost 170 pounds: I started walking 30 minutes a day, I stopped eating footlongs at Subway, I cut pop down, and (importantly) I started drinking more water. That led to me eventually running 3 miles a day, biking 10 miles a day, eating healthy as hell, and feeling awesome.

Water, too. I forgot to mention that. Drink more water. It gets you away from the stuff like pop. If you train yourself, it takes the place of the sugary/sweet stuff.

Anyway. Small changes. Keep them going. Some miracles aren't miracles at all, they're discoveries of what it is you've been bottling up this whole time.
Also, I need to add, I'm not a doctor or specialist in anyway. I'm just telling you what worked for me.
Bravo mbsc!  you deserve a pat on the back and more!!  Wonderful advice and so glad it worked for you.  Yes, it is hard to get yourself to the gym - but walking is great exercise.  I stopped walking and gained back the 15 lbs. I had lost!!  But because of your post, I will try again!  Thanks for the inspiration!!
Congrats on your weight loss & dedication!!  I'm going to start make changes, I know that is what it is going to tale if I want to get healthier.  It just stinks that I have so many days where I don't feel right an it make me afraid to try an do anything....  I know its a lot of mind over matter.  Being afraid that I'm going to have a heart attack or something medically wrong with me is the hardest part.  I'm going to yet and change and if not get to the gym then at least get out an walk this weekend.

Thanks!!
Thank you both for the compliments. It took a lot of work and dedication, but it was worth it. Both times.

I still have days where I feel crappy, because I'm still not in the greatest shape (I went from 350 to 180 back to  247 and now at 214 and dropping). Here's the thing, if you have insurance, go to your doctor and ask what sort of activities you can engage in in your current health. If you're concerned, that is. Walking shouldn't be an issue. But, to alleviate your fears, you should ask your doctor about it.

Beyond that, what it takes is a real dedication to a new life. I call it my "Do More" method.

Back in early 2004, I had a major panic episode that caused me to look at my life, and decide that I needed to change. I was very large, I never worked out, I had no social life, no real goals, no romantic relationships, nothing.

The thing is, losing weight was all fine and dandy, but that wasn't what I really needed: I needed a sense of self-worth and self-respect. It wasn't that I didn't think I could lose weight, it was that I didn't think I was worth it. So, I started doing more for myself, to make myself feel more important. Little health things and small things to make a big difference in my life.

When I was 350 pounds? I started walking 30 minutes a day. I walked out my door, walked for fifteen minutes and then walked the fifteen home. I did this until I decided to walk for an hour a day.

Also: I went and got myself a nice haircut (goodness, I miss those days: I've since gone bald).

What else? Well, to be honest, I never flossed my teeth. So I started. On weekends, I would wear a light cologne. Why? Because I decided I was worth it.

I then started trying to run. I couldn't do much more than a telephone pole's length before I became winded, but I did it.

I bought new shoes, because someone like me shouldn't wear crappy shoes. I said "hello" to more people, because I should. I started holding doors open for people more often.

I decided to go to school, because I knew I was better than where I was at. I took a health class my first semester. I set a goal of being able to jog for ten minutes without stopping.

I started doing situps and pushups at home. I bought shirts and wore ties, because I thought they looked cool, and I wanted to look cool. Because I started to believe in myself. Girls actually noticed me. I jogged 10 minutes without stopping.

I started biking. I signed up for a 5K. I went out on a date with the girl I'd crushed on since high school (I was 23 at the time). And in April 2005, one year after being 250 pounds, unable to run 100 feet without winding myself, I ran my first 5K (3.12 miles) and I cried like a baby. Because in a year, I had gotten just what I needed: self-respect and self-worth.

I'm not saying you're in the same spot, but I am saying I know how I felt once-upon-a-time, and I know that if you feel anything like I felt, you can come out of it.
Edit: One year after being 350 pounds, whoopsie.
Your story is really amazing
G and Leta me know there is proof out there that people can do it!  Truthfully I do think I'm somewhat depressed!!  I'm not happy. With. The way I look so I think that is part of the reason I'm down in the dumbs.  Its like my mind knows all the things I need and should do but I c
an't get my body to do it

Its like I feel worthless.  I'm a single mom of three girls and work a full time job so I know I'm not worthless but its like I've given up on myself.  I know I news to change because I'm all my girls got!

Again thanks for all you help :)
I have Vitiligo which is a lousy skin disorder.  I have ugly white blotches all over my skin and i don't dare go outside without my make up or someone might see what I really look like!  I am also too fat for my little body as I am very short (1 inch too tall to be a midget).  My legs are knock-kneed and I have a poochy stomach.  But my friends tell me I'm beautiful.  I hang on to that - because there are times that I feel unworthy too.  I have suffered from depression on and off all my life because I was abused by an uncle. - Well, that was then, and this is now.  Now I am a confident little old lady with white hair and am very loved and wanted.  - Don't wait until you're old to feel this way!  You have daughters who look up to you!  Show them the good side of Mommy!  And it's wonderful that you have a full-time job!  You are so worthy!   Value yourself and count your blessings!  Do you have beautiful eyes?  Play them up - no not with a lot of make up - just enough.  Do you have pretty hair?  Keep it nice.  -  Have you ever watched Drop Dead Diva?  That star is overweight and just beautiful and delightful!  We can strive to be like her - and then get thinner.  But we don't need to look like Twiggy - we just want to be healthy.  - Now I'm inspiring myself!! LOL
Congratulations on getting where you are!  It's hard to believe that even the "good-looking" and "beautiful" people suffer from low self esteem and self-worth.  Society has deemed it necessary to be perfect and we just can't meet that standard.  I prefer to meet God's standards of being good, generous and kind.  Easier to meet those standards!!  -  It's been great "talking" to you mbsc and i wish you all the best!
Hey!  I went for a walk tonight after supper!  Only 15 minutes - but it's a start.  My snack was a bunch of raddishes instead of chips and salsa.  And this morning I had plain oatmeal with cinnamon.  It was great!  Thanks for the inspiration mbsc!  I'm on my way!  Franceslee, take your girls for a walk!  I'm sure they'll enjoy it too.  Stop to look at the flowers, the grass, the sky, the trees and take pictures if you have a camera.  Enjoy their company and their chatter.  (Wish I could do that again - my girls are grown up).  Have fun!
Im going to start getting some exercise in with my girls to make us all more healthier!!  My goal is at least 15 mins 3x a week this week then bump it up week after week!!  Im also going to try and get in to the gym before I have to get my girls from daycare!  I need cardio to help get some of this weight off!!  Thanks for you advice, help and responses!!!  I REALLY appreciate it :)  
Good plan!!  Stick to it!  You'll do fine!  Enjoy your girls!
Thanks!  I went to the doc today and Shea setting me up with a dietician to help with food choices an portions!!  I'm just nervous waiting on my blood work results to come back!!  
Good for you!  So proud of you!!   I know you're going to be okay!  And your girls will be so happy and proud of you too, Mommy!!
Thanks so much for your encouraging words and faith in me!!!  It truly means. A LOT!!!  IRS great having someone to talk to that can relate and help through this!
Thank you for the hug!  Enjoy your time with the girls and I hope the dietician is helpful!  My doctor just told me  to stay away from bread of all kinds.
You are an inspiration.

I wish many people get to read your experiece.

I live in the Northern Pacific and I know that you can motivate many young people to believe in themselves.You have motivated me and I am not young .

Thank you so much and may God continue to bless you.

Numoya.
Hey, thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I've been a blessed person to have live the life I've lived so far. It's been pretty crazy. After having lost weight and such, I've really wanted to help people out. Maybe I'll write a book when I'm all done.
The one thing to remember about blood/health work and current health statuses is that many of them can be changed over time. Certain things, obviously not.

Diabetes, thyroid issues, heart problems... these are all things that cannot be undone, which is why I congratulate you on making the decision to get healthy. Nothing is written, as Lawrence said.

As I've mentioned, the important thing is to make this a life decision versus a weight decision. I've lost weight many times, but it's never worked when it was only for weight's purpose. It works best when you're doing it for yourself because you believe in it.

It takes time. A lot of time. I stripped my weight off, but I wouldn't recommend people do that. I tend to be an all-or-nothing person, and when I get into losing weight, I drop fast because it turns into a competition for myself. It's best to do it in a safe, methodical fashion.

Also, something to keep in mind: weight loss goes in waves. When I started out on the second round, I dropped 30 pounds waaaaaaaaay too quickly. I'm now at a pound per week, which is about what is recommended. However, I know that when the spring arrives (if it ever does, the upper Midwest is a horrible place for winter), I'll be running a lot more.

So. Slow and steady wins the race. It's going to take a while. Don't get disheartened. Don't beat yourself up for mistakes. Get up and try again. You've only lost when you fully quit.

Me? The last two weeks have been horrible on my diet. I ate a medium pizza from Domino's today and just had a massive dinner. Not my usual. Am I disappointed? Hell yes. Am I going to ream myself out? No, because it'll make me depressed, and food is one of the things I love when I'm down in the dumps.

I forget where I read it, so I apologize for the lack of a reference, but blood pressure can experience significant changes even with 10 pounds lost.

Keep that in mind as you go through.
Thanks again for all your help!  I'm going to try my hardest to get healthier!!  Its just like I'm constantly paranoid there is something wrong with me!!!!  I'm always terrified there is something wrong with my heart! !!!  I'm just scared!!

I went to the doctor on Monday and a physical with blood Work but I'm still waiting on the results.  I've been to a cardiologist within the past 6 months and she felt like everythpng was ok.  

I don't understand what is  wrong with me!!  I check my blooa prwssure all the time an it's ok.  My pulse is sometimes 100-107; but I usually run a higher pulse rate.  Could it be because I'm nervous?!

Sorry that you has to read all my problems.......
It's called "hypochondria". I've dealt with it most of my life. It's an unusual and unreasonable fear of health problems. For me, what helps is that you need to understand that the people who're telling you you're fine (doctors) have gone through 12+ years of training in order to tell you you're fine. They didn't go to WebMD and look up symptoms, they aren't reading through other hypochondriac's posts online and they certainly aren't taking shots in the dark and phantom diagnoses. They're trained professionals whose livelihoods depend on their accurate diagnosis and treatment of your ailments.

More importantly, specialists are not just doctors: they're specialists. If your GP isn't concerned, you already have very good reason to not be concerned. If a specialist (particularly a heart specialist; I've worked healthcare most of my adult life, these [along with neurology specialists] are the cream of the crop) isn't concerned, you have zero right whatsoever to be worried. At this point, when a specialist has cleared you, you are simply allowing yourself to be worried over nothing.

That may sound insensitive, but I don't apologize for it. I've had unreasonable fear about my health for most of my life, and never once have these fears proven true.

100-107 is a high pulse. It's technically tachycardia. However, you need to understand something about "normal" levels of blood pressure and heart rates: these apply to healthy adults. A healthy adult will see a pulse between 60-100, though lower is better. A healthy adult will have a BP reading of < 120/80.

Look, we've talked about it in this thread, but it bears repeating: this issues arise from both weight and lack of exercise. Granted, sometimes these issues are hereditary. But with your BMI and sedentary lifestyle, I promise you that you'll see a difference in three months of dedicated effort.

I don't say this lightly. I say it as someone who still has work to do. I say it as someone who just recently dropped from an "obese" BMI to an "overweight" BMI. I say it as somebody who was largely sedentary for the last five years of his life. I say it from experience, not out of condescension.

In the last three months of concerted efforts, my resting pulse has dropped from 77 to 68. My exerted pulse has dropped from 169 to 141. I don't know about my BP, because I haven't taken it. Again, I revisit the relative subjectivity of the standards: your BP and pulse will not be healthy if you aren't. My doctor and nurse weren't concerned about my BP (128/89) because of my extra weight and lack of exercise. That was in January. I've lost over 25 pounds and my pulse has dropped. I'm pretty sure I'd see a difference.

Hell, when I was running 3 miles a day, my resting pulse was 59. I miss those days.

So, look. I know how you feel, but at this point, you face decisions that will be your decisions. Again, I'm not a doctor, I am just stating from my experience:

You can choose to manage your health anxiety or let something/somebody manage it for you. Doctors may put you on anti-depressants, particularly Paxil: it's a catch-all drug that works pretty well. They had me on it, and it took care of business, but turned me into somebody I wasn't. I'm hyper. I'm nervous. I'm jittery. I'm flighty. I'm me.

I chose to manage it myself. I have an overactive imagination, so I read a lot and I chose to work in a creative field. I make stuff up for a living. It allows me to focus some of my creative energies away from myself.

Also, I started exercising again. I use this response with everyone because it's been so true for me. Diet and exercise changes will make a huge difference in you. Particularly in the fear of your heart. When you begin to get yourself healthy, you'll know you have nothing to worry about because you're in shape. Also, you'll know what your heart can handle (I don't have nervous palpitations now that I've been doing so much cardio).

And finally, I had to trust my doctors. Again, they're trained for this stuff. You aren't. I'm not. We're not doctors and we're certainly not specialists.
Why don't you go and get a full thyroid panal done.  My sister was told for 40 years that she had panic disorders.  She found this wonderful Doctor that  did this thyroid panal blood test and found that her thyroid was so out of whack.  She now is on a healthy diet no sugar low salt low carbs and low fat with a good quality of fish oil (non mercury) make sure the fish oil is certify.  She already lost 30 pounds.  She feels much better.  Good luck
I just had blood work and doc called back and said it was great!  I do need to start taking vitamins though!
I agree that I am hypochondria!  But I also do not want yo be on anti depressants.  I know my weight and not exercising is the cause that I dwelling the way I do an it would help my anxiety!  I set around an worry and talk about it but don't to anything!!!  I've got to get off my a** and work to get healthy!!!  It's lime I'm my own worst nightmare!!!

The doc did blood work and she said it came back great!  Plus I've lost 4 pounds. :-)  not much but its a start....
FYI, I hadn't done much in the last week and a half, and my return to the gym today was hellish. So, remember to keep at it. Good Lord, it was a bad day for a workout.

I'm really happy to hear about the blood work. It's a great first step. Now that you've got clearance, it gives you something to build on: it's a foundation.

A warning on losing the pounds, it's awesome that you've dropped 4 so far. But be careful watching it, because it can get a little depressing. You'll lose quickly at first, and then taper off. It's been the same across me and my friends, so be ready for that.

Otherwise, well done. 4 lbs is 4 lbs.

I would recommend weekly checking. Pick a time and a day, and do it then every week. So, like, Saturday before breakfast. That's my measuring time. It keeps the small meal fluctuations from startling you as well as lets you see your real progress.
I will remember to do the weekly weigh ins.  Since I'm off the weekends. I'm planning on making Saturday my starting day to hit the gym an start eating better from there on out!  My blood work being good gives me more reason tl want to make the outside look good :-)
Sounds like your doctor gave you the okay to exercise!  Bravo.  By the way, I do have a heart condition and my doctor has TOLD ME TO EXERCISE.  it will not hurt you, it will strengthen your heart.  Don't be afraid that exercising will cause you harm - it won't.  Walked again - this time a little further. :D
Congrats on walking again :-)  at least your able to stay consistent with it!   That's my hardest part.  I know I need yo exercise it's the best thing for me.  I have no clue why I'm afraid to do it though....  I'm planning on changing that and going to get into an exercise routine, I'm setting myself a small goal to loose 11 pounds so hopefully if I reach that I will be encourage ls to keep going
Ok, so the blood work was good but my triglycerides were high, wants me to come back in 3 months to get re-checked and sat me up an appointment with a nutritionist.  How can I lower them?  I don't want to have to go on a statin drug!!  Any advice???
CoQ10 and Guggul are natural alternative supplements that can lower cholesteral.  I don't blame you for not wanting to take statins.  They are very powerful and not necessarily good.  Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin.  You might want to go to Amazon to get the best price. - I'm back from seeing a "specialist" in Tucson.  He said I have arthritis in my jaw and need to see a TMJ specialist.  I think he just didn't know what my problem is.  So I'll need to see a different doctor. :(
Dark grape juice can also help. It's what my mother's doctor recommended.

The thing is, you doctor is being generous. If your doctor were the type to "worry about", you would have already been prescribed with statins. But he's saying, "Look, you can change this, you have to work with it."

And he's right. As I've said, right now, you can expect to have unhealthy readings. It's just the way things work. If you give it the honest try, you'll be okay. Change your diet, get 30 minutes of exercise in every day, you'll be good.

Everyone has their cross to bear. Some people get cancer. Some people have bad bones. Some people have mental diseases. Etc. Some people, like myself, can't eat whatever they want and have to maintain a diligence in order to keep themselves in a healthy middle.

All in all, I'd rather have to keep myself diligent about eating/exercise than have a terminal illness. I got lucky, that is to say.
Like welches grape juice?  I've started to get in a little of exercise and at work I wool try to stand instead of sit also!
Yeah. Make sure it's 100% grape juice as well. Many of them put sugar or other juices into the drink in order to make it more cheaply. 100% grape juice is supposed to work well.
I keep looking for the "like button" to click.  :)  Good advice from mbsc.  
I check back once in a while to see how you're holding up, and I hope it's going well.

The whole process takes work. This last Friday, I was able to run my first 5K in five years. I couldn't do more than a run around the block at the beginning of the year. It takes time and effort.
Things are going ok.  I met with my dietician yesterday so I'm going to start. Using all the info she gave me.  I started Monday and have walked about a quarter miler each day, I know its not much but the way I look at it I'm just starting out.  I'm just so out of shape I don't want to over do it an get burned out an iya really a challenge for a big girl to exercise!!  
Keep it up!  So proud of you!!